Is this true?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lillybella

Reaction score
Is this true?

"Once trace is reached you can pour the soap into a mold. Allow the soap to sit undisturbed for 12-24 hours. After the soap has been allowed to sit for up to 24 hours, you can unmold the soap and cut it. Arrange the cut bars of soap in an area where there is good air flow but where they will not be in the way. I like to put them on a sheet of cardboard. You are now ready for the curing process. The curing process is just allow the soap to dry out, giving you a nice hard bar. You can use your soap immediately after cutting but it will not last as long as a fully cured bar."

When is the soap safe to touch so I don't get burned?

Your soap is safe when saponification is complete (e.g. all lye present is converted into soap). The best way to test this is with a zap test. I tend to cut and test at 24 hours though some folks wait for 48 to test. Once it passes the test, it is perfectly safe to touch and use.

However, you still want to cure it: the soap changes during cure. I see this when I try out my scraps each week. They come harder; they lather better; they feel more gentle; they hold up to being used better.

Stick your tongue on the bar, if you get zapped don't use it. If you don't it is safe to use but it will have inferior lather and may still be harsher than after cure. Don't judge a soap until after cure, but yes you can use it if you have to. A bar of uncured soap lasts me a few days. After cure it will last about 3 weeks.

Thanks Snappy :)

So the statement above is true?

Thanks Dorymae :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this true?

"Once trace is reached you can pour the soap into a mold. Allow the soap to sit undisturbed for 12-24 hours. After the soap has been allowed to sit for up to 24 hours, you can unmold the soap and cut it. Arrange the cut bars of soap in an area where there is good air flow but where they will not be in the way. I like to put them on a sheet of cardboard. You are now ready for the curing process. The curing process is just allow the soap to dry out, giving you a nice hard bar. You can use your soap immediately after cutting but it will not last as long as a fully cured bar."

When is the soap safe to touch so I don't get burned?

I have only made Hot Process soap....... :) OK , I did a search and discovered that soap is safe to use 24 - 48 hours after making, BUT needs several weeks to cure to get harder and perform as a soap should. Wow...maybe I should make me some CP soap! :)

Last edited:
They left out one important phrase... "If the soap does not zap, then...you can use your soap immediately..."

The one determination of safe/not safe is zap. If it zaps, it is not safe. If it doesn't, it is. Period.

Now, I would not want to judge or use a soap that has not had a proper cure. It will not be good. It will clean, but will not give good lather or much conditioning.

Last edited:
Thank you,
I'm just afraid of the lye & want to make sure when what is safe!

What about adding water to the soapy dishes that were used?

Plastic is safe with lye?

Are latex gloves enough?

You must be able to tell, I'm getting ready!

Plastic is fine. Latex gloves are fine. If you leave the dishes till the next day it will be easier. You can then scrape off the bulk of the soap- if you want make a big soap ball with it. That way you don't have a huge amount of soap going down your drain.

One note: never ever use glass to mix your lye. Lye can weaken glass and someday it can shatter on you. ( not something you want to happen with a pitcher of lye. )

Do I washing or ipe out the lye pitcher after I mix the lye?

Is it best to add everything into the oils except the lye solution?

How do you get the temperature to come down?

You can fill your empty lye pitcher with water and let it sit until you are ready to wash it. (After your soap is set aside to saponify overnight) then just wash it like a regular dish.

" is it best to add everything to the oils except the lye solution. "

Not sure what you are asking. I mix the lye with the oil then add color and fragrance at light trace normally.

As for temperature, you can fill your sink with ice water and set your lye pitcher in it to bring the temperature down. You could put it in the fridge or freezer as well if you have the room and are sure no one will be going in there. Just don't forget if you put it in the freezer!

Dorymae, thank you so much!
I know these are pretty basic questions, but not for me!

Can I mix the lye up a day ahead of time in a plastic picture? Can I keep the top on the pitcher or will it explode?

You can mix the lye ahead of time, but be aware that some of the water may have evaporated from it. Know the weight of your container, and weigh the lye solution right after mixing. Weigh the container the next day, then you can determine how much water will have evaporated so you can add the water back in. If you are using a weaker (read more water) lye solution, it may not even be necessary. Also you can cover the lye solution it won't blow up. :smile:

Do I washing or ipe out the lye pitcher after I mix the lye?

Is it best to add everything into the oils except the lye solution?

How do you get the temperature to come down?

I mix my lye water the same time as I get my oils ready. I'll slowly heat up and melt all my oils/butters then set it aside. By the time my oil is cooled down my lye is ready. I usually mix all my stuff early morning, then make my soap after dinner in the late evening.

*I add most of my additives at light trace after the lye and oils are mixed.

Earthen, this sounds like a good way!
is the lye still hot enough to burn you by nighttime or is it safer by then?

Earthen, this sounds like a good way!
is the lye still hot enough to burn you by nighttime or is it safer by then?

It's about room temp by that time. This is around 500g of lye mixed with 35-38% water.

*in a plastic pitcher

**If you were doing very large batches it might still be hot by then. I know when I do micro test batches it's cool much quicker than the batches using around 500g.

Thank you, Earthen :)
This is so helpful!

You pour your lye water into your oils. What kind of container are you melting your oils in?

Your lye water is in a plastic container?

Do you still have to take the temp?

It's about room temp by that time. This is around 500g of lye mixed with 35-38% water.

So the lye can't hurt you at this point?

Thank you, Earthen :)
This is so helpful!
You are very welcome, glad to help.
You pour your lye water into your oils. What kind of container are you melting your oils in?
I use a stainless steal pot, I want to use a double boiler at some point to be even more gentle to my oils. *Right now I use a very low temp to heat them up, 2 out of 10 on my stove-top.
Your lye water is in a plastic container?
Yes my lye water is mixed in plastic #5 pitcher. You can also use #2 and stainless steel, glass can degrade and potentially break in time.
Do you still have to take the temp?
I stopped taking temps about a year ago. I have mixed my lye + oils while it's still warm to the touch or room temp and I have never had issues.

So the lye can't hurt you at this point?
The lye is still caustic and can burn you, it can hurt you. If it's hot or cold it still retains it's caustic attributes. Use gloves and goggles while dealing with lye and rise with a lot of cold water if any gets on your skin.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back