Is this Normal for Mix n Pour

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbtreasures

Reaction score
Hello all and thank you for your expertise! I recently bought a white M&P base, melted the base in a microwave, added my fragrance oil and used a white M&P silicone mold (that was never used). Where the soap base touched the mold, there is a thin, yellowing fine line along the edges of the finished soap and along the bottom. What can this be from? Should I have added the fo, then microwaved for a few seconds to help blend it in with the base rather than adding the fo and mixing well with a spoon, like I did? I also did another soap using oatmeal and honey fo that turned the soap pink! Any ideas what may have happened?

I'm thinking it might just be the nature of the particular FO's you used. For example, I've used an FO that turned my CP soap bright pink in my ungelled soap, but went mauve when the soap was gelled. This is just my opinion, but I don't think it would be a good idea to microwave your FO with your base. It's best added after the base is liquid. If you have a mini-whisk like this- those work better for blending in FO than a spoon.

IrishLass :)

I'm thinking it might just be the nature of the particular FO's you used. For example, I've used an FO that turned my CP soap bright pink in my ungelled soap, but went mauve when the soap was gelled. This is just my opinion, but I don't think it would be a good idea to microwave your FO with your base. It's best added after the base is liquid. If you have a mini-whisk like this- those work better for blending in FO than a spoon.

IrishLass :)
Thank You for your thoughts, IrishLass! I do have a small whisk but was afraid my soap would float if I whisked it too much, so I used a spoon. I didn’t really think it a good idea to microwave the base w the fo but I am new to mix and pour, so it was just something I considered afterwards. I have a lil experience with cold process and hot process soap making, but quite limited.

Pictures?

Did you coat the mold with something, perhaps Pam, as a release?
No I didn’t coat it with anything, my molds are silicone. My 2nd try at M&P I used a rose silicone mold w 6 cavities. 3 came out white like they should have, and the other 3 had yellowing on the tops of the rose (which would have been the bottom of the molds). I know I mixed the fo very well with a spoon bc of the yellowing from my 1st attempt (the loaf mold). Its almost like something settled to the bottom. The roses all have the same fragrance, meaning the yellower ones are not any stronger smelling than the white ones, so I am doubting it is the fo. They do look pretty though!!

759CF098-2AC3-4123-8A74-265B6ABD6828.jpeg
59C3FA45-091A-4F6A-967A-7E0AD167F5DD.jpeg
E3BD835F-64B8-4BCC-AD86-47581E648071.jpeg

Well, I think I figured it out. Duh!! I made 3 batches, not 2. The yellowing came from molds that I used with hot n cold processing methods. I bought the white M&P loaf mold and my soap, pic 3, came out just fine (except it is pinkish). Soooo, I am now thinking that the high temp plus any oil residue left in my used silicone molds when I cold processed, was pulled out leaving the yellowing that I now see. I wash my molds after each use with hot water and soap and a brush. Perhaps oil residue was still on or embedded in the molds? Hmmmm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back