Is this DOS?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juliab86

Reaction score
I bought this soap in late January. Soon after, I started to make my own soap and neglected this one. When I checked this soap the other day, I saw some discoloration and it smelled a bit sour. I have yet to see DOS on my own soaps, so I was wondering if this is DOS.

Ingredients: Saponified coconut oil, olive oil and castor oil, eucalyptus and peppermint essential oils, European green clay, spirulina and chlorophyll.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Soap Making mobile app

1380582878199.jpg

1380582897556.jpg

1380582922695.jpg

It does look like DOS. I was wondering the same as well if the oils were old when they made this. You can still use the soap.

Thanks everybody. I thought so. Now I know what to look for in my own soaps as they age.

I've kept this soap around for several months. It was also humid here this summer.

None of the other soaps I bought from this vender in January have gone bad. They have different recipes though.

What are spirulina and chlorophyll used for?

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Soap Making mobile app

Spirulina and chlorophyll are used as color, and at least one member on here has had DOS problems using chlorophyll.

Looks like DOS to me! I have had this happen in soap that I have bought also. And yes, you can still use it if you wish - it's not harmful, just not very pleasant.

Spirulina can also create an off fishy-kind of odor in soap.

I agree with the DOS diagnosis.. This is one reason it is so important to take your time and test your recipes before the soap is sold or given away. I am sorry that happened..

What is DOS? I made a soap with spirulina and it looks like that in 6 months and I didn't know why.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Soap Making mobile app

I have also found if the bar has been shrink wrapped with a label it can discolor under the label. Just asking since it looks to be in an area a label would be found. Certainly could be DOS. Is it soft and /or sticky? If so I would definetly say DOS. I cut my superfat down to 3% and add in a couple drops of roe to soap batches that contain a high percentage of soft oil. Rice Bran oil for me has been a pesky oil giving DOS problems after 5 months.

It was a cardboard label. Most of the discoloration is where the cardboard covered, but there is a little orange spot on the side where the label didn't cover.

Not really soft, maybe a little bit sticky.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Soap Making mobile app

What is DOS?
Rancid fat in soap. I just say "rancidity", but I understand the term "DOS" is useful in view of its occurring in spots rather than throughout.

According to the Wikipedia article Rancidification, I should be qualifying it as oxidative, and/or as microbial, because hydrolytic rancidity sure wouldn't be a problem in soap!

Last edited:
Back