Is this Alien Brains?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ngian

Reaction score
Alien brains- the surface gets rippled and wrinkly

Is "alien brains" made of overheating?

I have made also something like alien brains yesterday night after CPOPing for less than 1 hour @ 65ºC (149ºF)

O-C-P-oils.jpg

O-C-P-oils-2.jpg

But there are also some light shades inside the center and bottom of the soap and I was wondering what this could be. Is it about non gelled areas? I could see from the top of the mold that the soap was having a gel stage from one side to the other along with the alien brain texture, so I had to put it out of the oven and let it rest outside the house at temperatures of around 0ºC (32ºF - snowy night). After 7 hours I unmold it, cut it and then took those pictures.

Recipe: OO-40%(which includes 30% Olive Oil residual), CO-30%, PO-30%, Lye Concentration: 30%, Superfat: 4%, Oatmeal flour, salt, sugar, silk

If it is for gel, do the above oils need different times for each to reach gel phase?

Nikos

Update: I found this link that answers the "alien brain" issue...

Last edited:
I don't think that is from partial gel, looks more like steric streaks to me. I always got that when I used palm oil, especially if I gelled.

Latest posts

Back