Is there a general formula for adding EOs/FOS???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welder

Reaction score
Hi people.

I'm just curious if there's any general formula for determining how much EO or FO can be added to soap.

I know that such oil concentration may depend somewhat on personal taste, but I'm thinking that it may also depend on stuff like what specific soapmaking process is chosen and what EO is being used.

What I mean is that I've read here that EOs can potentially cause soap batches to suddenly seize in the mixing bowl. I've also read that HP batches won't easilly seize up, which is what I meant about EO/FO concentration limits also relating to the chosen process.

I've read that some people may suffer allergic reactions to such medicine like EOs like neem oil and/or tea tree oil. There may be a safe threshold of maximum concentration for the stronger EOs that won't cause an allergic reaction in people of "normal" allergic sensitivity.

My nephews' friends father worked in a company that processed cedar boughs to harvest the cedar oil. The man had serious skin allergies to the chemicals in the cedar oil. Cedar is one of the woods that won't easilly rot, so there must be some strong stuff in the sap to fight off microbes.

My wife had a reaction to the tea tree oil that I recommended she use on a persistant rash. The TTO caused the rash to be much worse. Ironically, when she first tried it, she only used a little bit with very good results. It was only when I recomended that she use much more of the TTO that she really started reacting against the TTO. I guess that with TTO, a little goes a long way and more really isn't always better...

I had wanted to cook off a small batch of HP soap and add some patchouli oil and a couple drops of tea tree oil.

Any info/advice on adding EOs to my soap would be much appreciated.

Thanx!

Fo's and eo's

Hi,
It sounds as if you already have a basic knowledge of soap making and how it works lol.

I am rather new to soap making and I have only done cp soaping. I know that yes the different ways you make soap do cause the scents or oils to react differently.

with hp soap u do not need as much. Generally with eo's the average recommended amounts are 1-3% per batch and with fo's it is 3-5%. As i stated though hp process is different. You do not need as much.

I have found though that although that is a recommend amount it does vary with your preference and you nose lol. Each persons idea of a scent and how it should smell or the strength of it is different.

I also know that just because you use all natural or even organic products does not mean that you or someone else will not have allergies to it. It is true that most homemade soaps are used with good quality products but those with allergies still need to be careful and read what is in the soaps they are using. Even eo's can cause some people to have allergic reactions. It all depends on peoples systems and what there bodies can handle. Some are sensitive others are not.

I guess I gave you more than what you were looking for lol. Have a great day and I do hope someone with more knowledge can answer you more extensively. Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Latest posts

Back