Is it possible to make lip balms using imitation extracts?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissGlinda

Reaction score
I've been experimenting with lip balms and glosses, and came across something I thought was gold: wonderful imitation extracts! Strawberry, caramel, rum, chocolate, etc. The caramel came out dandy like candy, but everything else is either bitter or flavorless. I do realize there's water and that it's not exactly the same as an oil or concentrate, but I thought they would work...I was very excited to find them. And very disappointed in the outcome. Was I just using too much? Too little? I was experimenting with very small batches (about 1 1/2 tsp each flavor) so perhaps that had something to do with it?

I apologize if this is a very "n00b" question, but I'd love to find some way to make it work.
Otherwise, can they be used in soapmaking or in lotions, liquid soaps, etc? It'd be a shame for them to go to waste since I bought seven flavours. ^-^;

Welcome MissGlinda! :)

Unfortunately, the problem isn't that you used too much or too little or that your batches were small. It's just that when it comes to lip balms (which are a waterless product made up of waxes and fats/oils), any ingredient you add that is water soluble or that contains water in it is going to pose a messy problem by separating out of the balm because oil and water do not mix. There are many B&B vendors that sell a wonderful variety of oil-based flavors, though. I buy mine from Majestic Mountain Sage (MMS).

As for what to do with all the extracts that you bought....well, you can always use them in baking or candy-making, or to flavor coffee, tea, or other drinks. What are they advertised or specifically formulated to be used for? If they are not specifically formulated to be used in B&B products, I wouldn't even go there, especially lotions. That's just asking for trouble you definitely don't want.

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back