Intro and future plans...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyldwytch Studios

Reaction score
I have at least a good 300-400 batches of soap under my belt. I soaped about 10-12 years ago and I loved every minute of it. I had all my formulations on my computer, but stuck to about 4 or 5 that I really liked.

Then we bought a house and the kids started getting involved with school activities and I just had no time for anything but work and them. Now I am back to start again. My final goal will be with selling, but for now since I lost my formulary due to computers crashing, I have to start all over. I think it's a good thing though since there is alot more information out there then when I first started. Plus, because my goal is to eventually sell bars, not this week, or this month, probably not even this year...I want to take it a bit slower to make sure my final product can withstand what it is going to be used for.

I have at this time about 10 people (friends and family) who are willing to test the soaps and any other products i decide to make. I also have a friend who is a lawyer who will draw up a form for me for them to sign about liability, just something simple. The testers also know that they will have a form to fill out for the soaps on fragrance, how their skin felt after use, how long bars lasted, things of that nature. I will be testing them right along side of them and keeping notes.

I have to say I am pretty excited about this and I definitely know this isn't a get rich quick OR get rich period type of business. For me its about doing something I enjoy with the possibility of at least covering my costs with a little extra left over to try something new. You know, that expensive butter or floral wax that you're dieing to try but just can't convince your wallet to open and release the visa card...LOL It's also about getting back to the basics and using as natural of a product as possible. I for one know the benefits of using CP soaps versus store bought Irish Spring or softsoap. My skin feels better, it looks better, and I can actually where my expensive perfumes without them being tainted by fragrances coming from mass produced stuff.

Well that's a little about me and what my goals are. Would love to hear from others and how and why they got started and what made them decide to start selling.

I probably won't be mixing my first batch for about 2-4 weeks since right now I am comparing suppliers as well as just taking my time to read, read, and then do some more reading. I find no matter how long you have been doing something there is always room to learn. I don't feel anything is ever a mistake, it's a learning experience and by sharing them you help others to learn.

Happy Soaping

Rose

Yvonne said:
Welcome and good luck, you got such a spirit!

Thank you Yvonne.... :D

I guess I am just at the point in life where you realize rushing things just doesn't work out and all it causes is frustration in the end. Why cause all that when I am doing this because I enjoy it and find it relaxing. Everything is still going to be there next week, month, or whenever. The more I pick up now of what not to do will in the long run help me to make a better product. A better product will bring in customers and keep them coming back.

Right now though, I'm not worried about selling, or customers. Right now is the simple stuff, making a lasting product that people will enjoy and come back for more. If that takes me 6 months or a year, so be it. Not planning on being on the wrong side of the grass for a long, long time..LOL

Happy Soaping

Rose

You absolutely right, i feel the same way, want product to be so good, that there is no room for improvment :) Just kidding, there is always something to do better

Hi Rose,

Welcome to the forum! :D

Your plans sound great. I had been making bath fizzies and MP batches to give to family members as gifts. I became interested in making my own lotions which I did and soapmaking just seemed like a natural progression. Well, that and I had bought some handmade soap and loved it. :lol: I started to read about soapmaking and was thrilled to find out you didn't need much to get started. I don't sell but maybe someday...

Hazel said:
Hi Rose,

Welcome to the forum! :D

Your plans sound great. I had been making bath fizzies and MP batches to give to family members as gifts. I became interested in making my own lotions which I did and soapmaking just seemed like a natural progression. Well, that and I had bought some handmade soap and loved it. :lol: I started to read about soapmaking and was thrilled to find out you didn't need much to get started. I don't sell but maybe someday...

Hazel, how do you like the melt and pour? I never ventured that way when I was previously making soaps and was thinking of trying a bit of it. DO you think the CP soaps have more skin benefits then the melt and pour? Other then the advantage of being able to be used immediately are there any others? Sorry for picking your brain so late at night, can't sleep and my overgrown (80lb) lapm dog has me pinned in the loveseat...LOL You know I wouldn't want to disturb her beauty sleep!

Rose

Wyldwytch Studios said:
Hazel, how do you like the melt and pour? I never ventured that way when I was previously making soaps and was thinking of trying a bit of it. DO you think the CP soaps have more skin benefits then the melt and pour? Other then the advantage of being able to be used immediately are there any others? Sorry for picking your brain so late at night, can't sleep and my overgrown (80lb) lapm dog has me pinned in the loveseat...LOL You know I wouldn't want to disturb her beauty sleep!

Rose

You didn't pick my brain late at night. I went to bed and didn't see your post until a little while ago. After typing a reply, I couldn’t post this because I kept getting a message the server was busy and to try again.

I don't know if CP would have more skin benefits than MP. I suppose it would depend on the CP recipe and the MP ingredients. At least with CP, you can choose what oils you want to use and at what percentage.

However, MP is fun but I don't do it much any more. I occasionally do holiday soaps with it because I can use plastic molds. I also like using glow powder and it really only works well in clear soap. I've seen some beautiful MP soaps but it really comes down to I don't have the patience to do intricate MP. Some MP soap looks like art work - they're so detailed.

It's nice because it's quick and clean up is so easy. It's a great alternative if you're desperate to make some soap but don't have time for CP. Plus, my youngest niece loves glow in the dark soap. I made a glow in the dark lizard for her. I found out later she wasn't using it for washing. She was setting it on her night table so she could look at it before she fell asleep. I decided this was a compliment.

BTW, we have a couple of lap dogs (They haven't been weighed for awhile so I'm guessing 85 lbs and 70 lbs). "Pinned" is a polite euphemism for being crushed underneath them. :lol:

Hi Wyldwytch and welcome to the forum!

I only started soaping a year ago, but it's become a huge part of my life.
I'm a researcher by nature, so I relate to your reading, and then reading again.
I read for 4 months before I even tried my first CP batch.

I don't sell, but I am considering participating in my first craft fair coming up this October. It is a daunting, but exciting notion. I do carry liability insurance, and I have a business license and tax ID because I'm a licensed massage therapist who's had my own practice for four years now. I purchase the extra insurance because I like to give (very good) clients soaps to test, as well as friends and family, of course. I appreciate all the feedback they give, and it makes me soo happy to be able to share my creations with them.

I tend to use simple recipes with stable oils, and my soaps have been tried and tested and i'm confident they are sound. I have many year-old soaps in boxes in my closet that are perfect.

I started with bath bombs and melt & pour, (which i still make and love) and ended up falling in love with cold process. OMG hand-made soap is one of the best things ever!

I agree with you when you say there's not a lot of money in soap, I certainly concur that it is a labor of love. However, it would be nice to recoup a little something to alleviate some of the guilt I feel spending to be able to keep up my habit, lol.

Please keep us informed of your progress, it sounds like you've got a wise plan. Best of luck to you!

Thanks again everyone for your warm welcomes. Actually took that day off from doing much reading (means I feel asleep in front of the computer)...LOL

I might try some of the melt and pour since it sounds like something fun to get the juices flowing...

Hazel you took the words out of my mouth about the dogs. She yet again pinned me to the couch today, of course right now she is up bugging my husband.

Well, time to go off and read a bit and get some sleep fr work tomorrow.

Have a great week everyone.

ROse

Latest posts

Back