Insulation question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galavanting Gifts

Reaction score
I was just wondering if Goats milk soap needed to be insulated after pouring. I remember insulating my last one but I read somewhere recently that it shouldn't be insulated but I can't remember why though.

Milk based soaps can tend to overheat, so that is why you may have read not to insulate....however depending on your room temp, your other ingredients, etc, you may only achieve partial gel without insulating.

I have made two goats milk soaps now and insulated both until they reached full gel, then uncovered them and left them where they can cool down easily - under a fan if it's a hot day maybe. All my soap batches usually reach full gel from 1 1/2 to 2 hours after pour so I checked the GM soaps a couple of times based on this. They may not have overheated but I didn't want to risk it!

Of course, you may prefer not to gel your soap - you can achieve a whiter milk soap colour if not. I haven't had any luck with stopping the gelling process much at all so I embrace the gel! :wink:

Tanya :)

Thaaaaaaanks Tanya, I read your reply just in time as I have only just poured the mix now. I've covered it and will do a check on it.

Another question: the instructions say to combine the lye/gm mix and oils mix together when both mixes reach between 130-140 F but I mixed my lye into my frozen mushy milk and the temp dropped down to 86 F, does this matter? I wasn't sure how to get the lye/milk temp up.

If I have read your post correctly, you have alread poured the batter so if it reached trace okay, you probably don't have a problem. Paul aka soapmakerman mixes his gm soap at low room temp, so 20-22 degrees celcius which is still well below what you mixed at, with no issues. Keep us posted as to how it goes.

Cool bananas, I was having a bit of a panic then lol. I took off the insulation and it's looking good, already to harden up (is that normal, they were put into silicon cupcake moulds)

Sounds great! Please post pics when you have unmoulded. I left my GM loaf in its silicone mould for 24 hours before I unmoulded, but cupcake sized soaps may take less time to firm up enough.

Back