Include tax...or not?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimplyE

Reaction score
I am trying to decide whether to include tax in my prices at this festival or add them at check out. Easier to deal with round numbers with tax included, but it might look like a better price if I don't include tax with my prices and add it after.

Opinions???
Thx!

I started out having tax included and having nice round numbers. A few months ago I purchased a portable cash register and have it programmed to add the tax on to the price. For me in MI with 6% if I sell $400 that is another $24 collected. 5 shows and the register will be paid for. Customers do not seem to mind at all. If they want to buy a $5 item I respond to them "that will be $5 plus tax" just so they don't grab a 5 $ bill and put thier purse away. I am glad to be collecting it. It makes it easier to make the payments to the state as well.

Bruce

I don't include tax in my pricing - here in BC the 2 taxes add up to 12%. I have my cash register programmed for the 2 individual taxes and I always let people know that the price is Plus taxes. It hasn't been a problem for me either....

I don't have a cash register yet, so for my first few fairs (coming up soon!) I think I am going to include the taxes in the price and round off the price. It'll be easier for me that way without a register!

Be aware that there are some states where it is illegal to include the tax in the price. I have friends in other states who have told me that employees of the state dept. of taxation have actually confronted them at fairs/festivals. Other states allow it, but have strict guidelines on how it must be displayed/advertised.

Check your state's department of taxation and assessment.

I have calculated my prices so when the tax is added to the price it equals a manageable amount.

Avalon said:
Be aware that there are some states where it is illegal to include the tax in the price. I have friends in other states who have told me that employees of the state dept. of taxation have actually confronted them at fairs/festivals. Other states allow it, but have strict guidelines on how it must be displayed/advertised.

Check your state's department of taxation and assessment.

I have calculated my prices so when the tax is added to the price it equals a manageable amount.

Thanks for the info!

Around here I find that most of the craft fairs actually prefer you NOT to be in "actual" business. One of them I'm going into had an actual clause in their registration info saying they were "allowing" registered businesses "this year". As if before you weren't allowed if you were an actual business and not just a hobbyist crafter. So, at least around here, I'm not too worried about anyone coming to the fair and giving me cr@p for including taxes in my prices. I don't think anyone at the fairs I'll be going to will be even charging taxes! But.... that's just around my neck of the woods. And we're pretty hick around here.... LOL!

Avalon said:

I started figuring that and I think this is the way I will go. I just bought a register, cuz I figured it would save me a hassle. Thanks to Bruce. :wink:

I thought about just doing the cash box thing, but I figured by the time I bought an adding machine, it would just make more sense to buy the register. Especially since I have several people helping me. Less room for error.

Thanks for all of your input! 8 days and counting. Ugh...

If I remember right you pushed me to put up pictures of the last festival that I did so make sure you take your camera. I wish you the best of luck, have a very busy festival.

Bruce

Latest posts

Back