Impatient to test my soap!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lottee

Reaction score
I have so far made 6loaves of soap, the recipe i used said to leave to cure for 6 weeks. Is it possible to use it before then? What is the reason for waiting so long other than for the soap to harden? Really just want to see how it feels! Its been 3 - 4 weeks since i made the soaps.

Thank you!

Most of the cure time is waiting for the excess water to evaporate and for the pH to level off. Saponification takes place mostly within the first 48 hours, but I think some saponification is still occuring as it cures, which is why the pH drops and the soap becomes milder, the lather becomes more stable, and the soap hardens.
You can use it as is, provided that you zap tested or pH tested to make sure it isn't lye heavy. Just test a slice to cure your curiosity, then compare those results to your soap after 6 weeks. You will most likely notice a difference.
One thing soap making will teach you is ...patience... :think: :arrow: :angel:

I used my soap after 2 weeks because I was so impatient! And me and my skin are ok. I cant remember were I found the article but she said that it she would let hers cure for 2-4 weeks to cure before selling.

Alchemy&Ashes already answered about the reason behind curing; however, 4 weeks is generally long enough. I cure soap that I've made with water, aloe juice, beer or wine for 4 weeks. I've found this works fine. But I prefer to cure soap in which I've used cream, buttermilk, half & half, etc for at least 6 weeks because those batches always seem to remain a little softer for awhile. I definitely notice a difference at 4 weeks as compared to 6 weeks with these batches. I've found I like them better the longer they've cured. Soap with a high percentage of olive gets an even longer cure time - at least 6 months to 9 months.

I agree with Alchemy&Ashes - cut some slices and try them. :D

Oh my good lord, Lottee, I hear ya, sista. I'm just done cooking this year's Christmas batch, and I can't wait to try them! I check them every day, give them a little squeeze ... Are they a little harder than yesterday? When is it December already??

CaliChan said:
I used my soap after 2 weeks because I was so impatient! And me and my skin are ok. I cant remember were I found the article but she said that it she would let hers cure for 2-4 weeks to cure before selling.

While you're soap may be 'ok' at 2 weeks you'll notice a dramatic difference in it at 4 weeks. At least I did with mine. The difference that I noted was that suddenly the lather was thick and luxurious before it was kind of thin and weak and the soap lasts a lot longer. It pretty much just melts straight down the drain in the early stages.

ClaraSuds said:
CaliChan said:

While you're soap may be 'ok' at 2 weeks you'll notice a dramatic difference in it at 4 weeks. At least I did with mine. The difference that I noted was that suddenly the lather was thick and luxurious before it was kind of thin and weak and the soap lasts a lot longer. It pretty much just melts straight down the drain in the early stages.

I'm interested in hearing who it is that sells soap after only a 2 week cure. :shock: Obviously, someone who doesn't care about repeat business.

Yup, I use mine right away. Is it more drying? Less hard? Not what it will be?
Absolutely but I still use it, just for myself cause I can't help it and sometimes I enjoy it soft to be honest.
No harm done in any way. Just not at it's best by any means for others.

I must be jaded, or perhaps I have too much soap! These days I have to check my notes to see when I made them because I tend to forget about them.

Those first batches I hovered over!

Congratulations! It's a wonderful feeling, isn't it?

judymoody said:
I must be jaded, or perhaps I have too much soap! These days I have to check my notes to see when I made them because I tend to forget about them.

I know what you mean. I came across a 100% OO batch in which I had added half & half, honey and oatmeal. I had completely forgotten I had made it over a year ago.

judymoody said:

Those first batches I hovered over!

Me too, just checked this morning and I have some ready - woohoo. One batch I forgot to write down :oops: , so will just have to guess when its ready to go.

Latest posts

Back