I went to the Farmer's Market today...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas_Bubbly

Reaction score
... and bought some soap....

(Stop me if you've heard this before :wink: )

There were 2 vendors with soap, and I bought some from both. One was a classic look and scents, nice beveled edges, all natural ingredients. Second was EO and FO's, bright colors, kind of gaudy, not something I would really buy normally.

I was suprised to find that I LOVE the gaudy soap. The scent lingers, the soap was silky slick in my hands and made a great lather that stood up to scrubbing. The natural soap was beautiful and consistant, but it didn't feel as good. It was a hard dry bar, and had a weak lather.

So finally to my questions...what gives soap that slick, slippery feel? And is there any website or group of photos that demonstrates different lather properties... like what does "silky" lather look like?

I went to the Farmers' Market today....

I learned here on this forum to add silk and castor oil to my soap recipes. I only use a tiny bit of castor. For a 1lb batch I use .4 ounces and for a 2lb I use .8. No matter what else goes wrong...my soaps have lovely lather and a silky slip....not slimy...and I do use olive oil in every batch too. I am constantly trying new things in my soap making...but the castor and silk remain my constants. Give them a try, but with a light hand and see if that brings the soaps to where you like them to feel. The castor has never slowed down my trace because I use such a little bit of it.

Thanks for all your replies. I have been buying stuff here and there... and only have a few more things to get online.. then I will make my first attempt at soaping!

Latest posts

Back