I tried to HP Zany's no slime Castile

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawni

Reaction score
And this is the result!

Here's the thread for those interested but haven't come across it.

I quite like it.

Turmeric, coconut milk powder and rice powder as additives, and scented with a blend of elemi, cypress, patchouli, eucalyptus, black pepper and lemongrass EOs

I doubt I used enough turmeric to darken this, so I'm guessing I must have slightly burnt the coconut milk powder. I should have less lighter part, assuming that is all the scrapings off the sides (I always scrape), so I'm also guessing I didn't mix in both properly? Anyways, the outcome is ok with me.
_20190119_174153.JPG

Congratz! I was lil worried how it would work on HP but looks like a success. Did u end up increasing the water?

I like how folks are testing variations of @Zany_in_CO’s recipe and sharing results.

Small update.. The soap is lighter now than when unmolded several hours ago. I'll post pics tomorrow if they lighten up more or stay this way. Wonder if it happened to anyone else in CP, or is it my additives?

Thank you @dibbles!

Yes @Dean, I used 1.9:1 rather than 1.7. Was thinking to increase it to 2:1 but I keep trying less water in most my recipes to see how much less I can use to get minimal shrinkage, which happens when you use too much water. So I decided on 1.9.. And thank you :)

...The soap is lighter now than when unmolded several hours ago...
I was about to ask about that. The one batch of Aleppo I made using faux seawater lightened up considerably from the lovely green shade from the laurel oil. It finished light tan, tho, as it should.

BTW, I just luv the look of your soap! This is a fantastic addition to the "No Slime Castile" thread. Thanks for sharing, Dawni! Well done!
10 10 10.gif

I was about to ask about that. The one batch of Aleppo I made using faux seawater lightened up considerably from the lovely green shade from the laurel oil. It finished light tan, tho, as it should.

BTW, I just luv the look of your soap! This is a fantastic addition to the "No Slime Castile" thread. Thanks for sharing, Dawni! Well done!
View attachment 35229
Thanks to you for sharing that recipe!

Good to know it isn't just me haha
Here's how light it became after about 7hrs.. Let's see tomorrow
_20190120_012554.JPG
This is considering there was still daylight in the first pic and only artificial light now at night.

Thanks to you for sharing that recipe!

Good to know it isn't just me haha
Here's how light it became after about 7hrs.. Let's see tomorrow
View attachment 35230
This is considering there was still daylight in the first pic and only artificial light now at night.

These are beautiful, Dawni. They will look great no matter what color they end up. I love your additives and scent mixture. Wish I could be there to smell it.

It would seem that natural colorants don't hold up well in this recipe. We need someone to try micas... yoo hoo, @Meena?

This would be my first HP, but i'm game! I don't think anyone has answered about a dedicated crock pot necessary or not? Or how about a stainless steel pot for this one?

Also, is there anything special to do, not do, or watch out for when HPing a Bastile, or should I keep this a simple Castile as you originally wrote the recipe?

Turmeric, coconut milk powder and rice powder as additives, and scented with a blend of elemi, cypress, patchouli, eucalyptus, black pepper and lemongrass EOs

View attachment 35224

I should have asked you earlier: What was the rice powder intended to do in this soap?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you @Meena!

My slow cooker is just for soap, but I've read some who use it for cooking too. If you search the net, there are several ways to do HP, including a stainless steel pot in a double boiler setup.

I tweaked the original recipe to only 80% Olive oil coz the remainder I wanted to use my sweet almond infused with turmeric, for the color. Other than that, recipe written is what I used, including amounts for coconut and Castor oils. It worked fine.

I also increased the water a bit to 1.9:1 as opposed to original 1.7:1 to make up for whatever moisture might be lost while cooking. You'll end up with a thick, goopy mess that's difficult to mold, with many air pockets if you lose too much water.

Keeping in mind the shrinkage over time, you could still use more I guess, you could end up with nice fluid batter in which you can do proper swirls, since you're using micas :)

Oh, and rice anything (I've made a triple rice soap - water used in the 3rd wash, water from cooking, and rice powder - that's still curing) reportedly helps to even out skin tone, helps with those pesky dark spots and it "moisturizes." As with most additives, no one's sure if any properties are actually retained, but I use them in case they do, and they sound nice lols

Thanks for sharing @Dawni ! Good to know the recipe works with HP as well. And the soap turned out beautiful! I love how you're using the texture of HP to create beautiful soaps.

Happy Anniversary to this soap! Haha

A year ago since yesterday, I made a Basile with Zany's no slime faux seawater. Olive oil was 80% here. I'm happy to report that out of all the EOs listed above, only elemi seems to have faded and the most remaining is black pepper and cypress.

A year and a day from that day, here's the last remaining piece I have. The rest is at my dad's.
_20200120_154437.JPG

As you can see, no orange spots like the other Castiles I've posted. Could the 20% other oil have made that big a difference? My dad's stash has no signs of orange or yellow either.. The turmeric has long ago faded and it's now quite a hard, pretty, almost white bar.

And here's the lather. It's veery slightly snotty if you purposely stick your (not very wet) hands on the bar n pull but with just regular washing it isn't noticeable at all.
_20200120_154357.JPG

Nice, eh? Unfortunately, my skin doesn't like this one either. Good call on my part I think, for switching to RBO early on lol my dad has no issues with it though. I'll ask mom to test later..

Back