I think my soap may be Lye-heavy, any thoughts?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana89

Reaction score
I made a 3 lb batch of CP on Sunday night, 1 am, so really early Monday morning. This is the same recipe I have used for months but I did not gel B/C I used Black Rasberry Vanilla FO and I was hoping it would not fade as much as it usually does. My house is set at 65 degrees so I usually have to force gel with a heating pad in the winter.
I unmolded Tuesday at about 1 pm so it was in the mold about 36 hours. The soap is a little pliable and soft but not so soft that it concerns me. I did have to put on gloves while cutting it because I got a small zap. To get to the question, does it take longer to set up in cold rooms. The are no lye pockets and its not hard and brittle. I still got a zap this morning although it was a tiny one.
Should I put a space heater in that room or do you think it will work itself out in a few days?

Thanks Susie and EF, I will let everyone know in a couple of days. I am the most impatient soaper! I hover of my soaps like a mother hen. I need to learn to set them down and walk away for couple of days, that would be like abandoning my kids for a couple of days when they were little.:lol:

Last edited:
Ditto what Susie and Gent said. Just wait it out. I have no doubt that it will be fine in a few more days time. I had one un-gelled batch that took about 6 or 7 days before it stopped zapping.

IrishLass :)

Thanks

Thanks for your help everyone. Here is a pic of my now non-zappy soap. I ma.de too much for my log mold, hence the reason for all the different shapes

CAM00132.jpg

Back