I tested my soap on animals

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derpina Bubbles

Reaction score
I did test them on me first, for a whole week. Loved them, which is weird cause I made them for dogs. Eventually they had to be tried on a guinea-dog. Now, I was confident about the soap or I wouldn't have used it on them. Still felt a bit wrong though but what alternative is there? Lab testing? Well technically, this was lab testing. Kind of. Ok my dogs are labs.

As you can see Starsky and Hutch enjoyed every minute of it. Too early for results other then they are clean. So it works as soap. The only other cool thing to report is that they had no wet dog smell after. They smell clean. Oh, these were stinky neem soaps that nearly killed me when I 1st made them. They now smell slightly nutty and rather pleasant.

So far the dogs have no sudden rashes or other signs of skin issues. Yet. The guilt will eat my soul if they get something. Seriously, how else do you know your doggy soap is good to go without just giving it a go?

Hutch bath.jpg

Starsky bath.jpg

Lab tested, Lab approved!!! :) i also have a lab, they are tough critters (not just saying that as 'oh they'll suck it up and deal with it') they were bred to swim in the icey waters of labrador bay in canada, there is a natural toughness to conditions built in them. But you know this. ha ha. So good job!!! it looks like starsky and hutch approve!

Sweet. I love labs. We have a lab/rottweiler mix and 2 greyhounds. I've also "tested" mine and though they did not enjoy the bath as yours did (and I did not enjoy "torturing" them) they did feel better afterwards and quickly forgave me. Thanks for sharing!

Beautiful doggys but the test results are skewed. I firmly believe that a lab would allow almost anything so long as it could be in the water. :mrgreen:
Back in my duck hunting days I had a hard working lab that would retrieve ducks all day long from the cold intracoastal waterway. My only problem with her was she refused to get out of the water. After retrieving she would stop in about 6 inches of water, sit and I would have to take my duck from her while still in the water.

Well it's been a few hours now and the boys are rash free. Hutch is a Dudley with sensitive skin so he was my oversized canary down the mine. I think the Lab test is a success.

Beautiful doggys but the test results are skewed. I firmly believe that a lab would allow almost anything so long as it could be in the water. :mrgreen:
Back in my duck hunting days I had a hard working lab that would retrieve ducks all day long from the cold intracoastal waterway. My only problem with her was she refused to get out of the water. After retrieving she would stop in about 6 inches of water, sit and I would have to take my duck from her while still in the water.

LOL! This is so true. They had a combo of water, massage and their humans giving attention. I could have put false eyelashes, lipstick, nail polish and a tutu on these fellas and they'd still be happy. Weird looking, but happy.

Beautiful and very happy looking dogs! I used to have to make sure the bathroom door was closed when I ran a bath, or else my chocolate lab would jump in before I could. I love your photos and would say your soap is lab approved.

I had to do the same with my neem doggie soap. Gave each of my daughters to try on theirs, since I no longer have a doggie, and was worried to death I would be paying a vet bill. One was a small doxie mix and one a jack russel with both with skin problems. It seemed to help both dogs. I had a customer ask about a dog soap and I gave a small bar to her to try and requested she try it out on a small area of her med size dog. She came back a few weeks later and requested I make up a batch of doggie soap for her, so it passed "animal testing" again. Whew!! always worries me since animals can react so much more severely. Had a friend years ago that had given her dog a baby aspirin and it almost killed the doggie, so no wintergreen eo in doggie soap

this thread made me missed my dog soooo much :( he passed away more than 2 yrs ago at a ripe old age of 13. i've had him since he was 2 mths old. i can just imagine that if he's still around, he'll me my guinea pig as well, not to mention my constant companion at my wee hours soaping time.

glad to see your test is a success, Derpina..

I tested my soap on animals
Here I thought you were testing it on the in-laws .. hahahhaha

Many career reincarnations ago I used to work as a dog groomer and while the "salon" was selling high priced dog shampoos in front, in the back they were using 1:20 diluted dish detergent. It cuts the grease of a dog's coat really well and because it's so diluted it's gentle on the skin and rinses out quick, making for a fast and easy wash. Wash, rinse, repeat .. done and dried. Customers were none the wiser and were always happy with the results.

I still do that today and our long haired doxie is always clean and happy .. for a ridiculously low price.

ETA .. your two look extremely happy with the product and the attention.

Many career reincarnations ago I used to work as a dog groomer and while the "salon" was selling high priced dog shampoos in front, in the back they were using 1:20 diluted dish detergent. It cuts the grease of a dog's coat really well and because it's so diluted it's gentle on the skin and rinses out quick, making for a fast and easy wash. Wash, rinse, repeat .. done and dried. Customers were none the wiser and were always happy with the results.

I still do that today and our long haired doxie is always clean and happy .. for a ridiculously low price.

I was a cosmetologist for 35 years...we basically did the same thing. Not dish soap but we did not use the expensive shampoo we sold. We need to get the hair and scalp clean! :think:

I had to do the same with my neem doggie soap. Gave each of my daughters to try on theirs, since I no longer have a doggie, and was worried to death I would be paying a vet bill. One was a small doxie mix and one a jack russel with both with skin problems. It seemed to help both dogs. I had a customer ask about a dog soap and I gave a small bar to her to try and requested she try it out on a small area of her med size dog. She came back a few weeks later and requested I make up a batch of doggie soap for her, so it passed "animal testing" again. Whew!! always worries me since animals can react so much more severely. Had a friend years ago that had given her dog a baby aspirin and it almost killed the doggie, so no wintergreen eo in doggie soap

Yeah I read so many stories of dogs reacting to different things, it freaked me out, so I checked my ingredient list first with their vet. Still stressed until the wash was done. What if the soap was a dud? Feel so much better seeing them ok (checked again this morning, all is good).

this thread made me missed my dog soooo much :( he passed away more than 2 yrs ago at a ripe old age of 13. i've had him since he was 2 mths old. i can just imagine that if he's still around, he'll me my guinea pig as well, not to mention my constant companion at my wee hours soaping time.

glad to see your test is a success, Derpina..

Awww sorry to hear seven :(.

My first couple rebatches made with leftover scraps turned out really ugly so my daughter has been using it on her two dogs. She says it makes them smell really nice and they are soft. I think next time I wash my dogs, I'll use either the neem or the pine tar bars.

LOL I think Dennis hit the nail on the head when he said they were happy with the water and yeah the attention helps too. I'm betting they don't give a poop about the soap quality. Little brats. Ok, really big brats.

I was a cosmetologist for 35 years...we basically did the same thing. Not dish soap but we did not use the expensive shampoo we sold. We need to get the hair and scalp clean! :think:

Oooo really? The things you learn!

MURDERER!!! I'll be making signs and taking off my clothes (that's supposed to make some kind of point or something) front of your place later!

I'll pull up a chair on the lawn across the street, crack a beer and get on the phone with the cops. ...he he he soap opera....

Latest posts

Back