I promised I'd ask... sawdust in soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...The only commercial mechanic's soap I've ever liked is 'Super Soap' (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017P7OEBQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20) which I was introduced to when I worked as a bike mechanic. It comes in a tub in a goopy consistency and has a large amount of sawdust in it, not particularly fine sawdust either. Works wonders as a hand cleaner because the sawdust not only exfoliates but it also seems to absorb oils. We used lots of it in a shop with very old plumbing and never had an issue with clogging drains....
Sounds like really good stuff! BTW.that's the first time I've ever seen 100% positive reviews on Amazon. Unfortunately, ingredients aren't listed anywhere on the page... unless I missed something (wouldn't be the first time :oops:). If you post a list of Super Soap ingredients it would make it a lot easier to offer suggestions on how to make something similar. <WINK>

Last edited by a moderator:
Wood is often associated with issues of dust inhalation causing lung damage and/or cancer, rather than the topical effect of the wood itself.
When there is toxicity, the problem is often with the sap or the bark and leaves (rather than the wood itself).

Having said that, some of the "international" wood I would not use the dust on my skin would include oleander, fig, laburnum, anything in the solenacea family (eg. Angel's Trumpet), western red cedar, teak, walnut and yew.

Yew is the oldest "poison" wood that I know of - Pliny the Elder wrote about it a couple of thousand years ago. The Royal Botanic Gardens in Kew tested the old stories of toxins, and found a variety of toxins in the leaves, bark and heartwood of the yew.

We have a few toxic woods here in Australia, who's toxins cause anything from skin blistering (our native maples and mangroves do this, mangroves can also cause blindness) to heart attacks.
Some of our native trees contain poisons like cyanide (our native indigo is one - the roots were used to make a fish poison) and some have a poison similar to strycnine.
Our Mulga wood is one you don't want scratching you if you are walking in the bush (it will turn septic). This wood was used for making spearheads.
Our mahogany (Dysoxylum muelleri) is really irritating on the skin (apparently this gets worse as the wood is aged), and our native maple (Flindersia brayleyana) is known to cause "exfoliating excema".

If you wanted to have a look, these sites have a bit of information (I haven't really mentioned sensitivities, which these cover a bit):
UK: http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/wis30.pdf#
http://www.ubeaut.com.au/badwood.htm
http://baysidewoodturners.com/media...ns_ITD Guidelines Draft - August 24, 2012.pdf

Having said all that, I actually like the idea of sawdust as an exfoliating agent in soap. I've used bamboo, which also has proteins that add a really nice skin feel to the soap and I was chatting to a (former) industrial manufacturer just yesterday, who said they used coconut fibres for exfoliating soaps.

IMO I would never use wood to help as a scrubby, or anything really.
I think that if you need a scrubby to get something off your hands then use a brush with some soap on it.

I would be too worried about someone getting scratched or god knows what else.
Plus, one persons 'light ' scrubby is anothers shredded body

Have you ever worked with cedar and gotten a splinter? Ouch! Definitely do not use cedar or walnut!

I have purchased this Pinerite that is made with pine and soap shreds I think? Very interesting product...

http://www.pinerite.com/

Attachments

• B23DE072-FF6C-4AF4-8FA5-61D2E4C11AF9.png
    B23DE072-FF6C-4AF4-8FA5-61D2E4C11AF9.png
    213.9 KB · Views: 13
I have purchased this Pinerite that is made with pine and soap shreds I think? Very interesting product...
Interesting indeed... and gets high marks on Amazon Reviews.
PINERITE SOAP contains all natural ingredients (Borax, Sodium Soap with 1% Lanolin, & Pine Tree Powder), the most important one made from pine needles that are used in a revolutionary patented process. Just shake a small amount onto wet hands and rinse! Biodegradable and forest friendly, 100% natural, forest friendly. Made in Colorado.
Borax is listed first. Soap is next. The two together comprise 98% of the recipe. Since the pine needle powder is listed last it's either less than 1% or the same amount as the lanolin and listed in alphabetical order. So, a trial recipe would look something like this:

49% Borax: Water Softener
49% Powdered bar soap ground to a powder in a food processor. Ingredients not listed.
1% Lanolin: Added to the powder mix vs in the soap itself
1% Pine Needles ground to a powder in a food processor...
I can see some under my Austrian Pine from my office window. Hmmm...

Last edited:
Okay, there goes that '100% natural' claim. There is no real definition of natural per the FDA, so it means nothing on a label.

Still, wouldn't it just be easier to make a Borax Soap with 1% lanolin and for exfoliation add your ground up pine needles? Of course, I don't know how you can really make a fine enough powder with pine needles, but I've never tried it as I was happy to use them for mulch as they fell from the trees.

Okay, there goes that '100% natural' claim. There is no real definition of natural per the FDA, so it means nothing on a label.

Still, wouldn't it just be easier to make a Borax Soap with 1% lanolin and for exfoliation add your ground up pine needles? Of course, I don't know how you can really make a fine enough powder with pine needles, but I've never tried it as I was happy to use them for mulch as they fell from the trees.
What it means on a label is many people would buy it just because it says that:)

Exactly. They are buying something based on a perceived meaning, but it means something different to different people. Even the FDA can't define as regards to labeling personal care items and state specifically that 'natural' should not be used on cosmetic ingredients statements.

7. Can I label my cosmetics “natural” or “organic”?

The same requirements for safety and labeling apply to all cosmetics, no matter what their source. This includes, for example, making sure that all your labeling is truthful and not misleading.

FDA has not defined the term “natural” and has not established a regulatory definition for this term in cosmetic labeling.

FDA also does not have regulations for the term "organic" for cosmetics. The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) regulates the use of the term “organic” for agricultural products under the National Organic Program (NOP). If you have questions about the use of the term “organic,” contact USDA. Answers to some common questions about "organic" cosmetics are available on our website under “‘Organic’ Cosmetics.”

Don’t use terms such as “natural” as part of an ingredient statement, because ingredients must be listed by their common or usual names, without additional description.

And remember, choosing ingredients from sources you consider “organic” or “natural” is no guarantee that they are safe. You are still responsible for making sure your ingredients are safe when used according to the labeling, or as they are customarily used, no matter what kinds of ingredients you use.

reference: https://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/resourcesforyou/industry/ucm388736.htm#7

I was watching soaping 101 on you tube and she made soap from items she found on a vacation to the beach “nights in rodanthe” and she took ocean water, shells and sand and made soap from it. My husband and I LOVE going camping in gatlinburg and that got me thinking. What could I use in soap from there. I was thinking something with pine or pine needles but didn’t dream you could use that. I figured I could definitely use some water from little pigeon river and maybe some rocks to use for a mold but wanted something woodsy. This is great!!!

Latest posts

Back