I have bear fat!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am rendering down some bear fat.. I started it yesterday .. it's a bunch.. and let it simmer all night on the stove.. it still isn't finished but it doesn't have a bad smell at all like someone mentions that theirs did.. it smells good..makes me hungry every time I go out on my sun porch..lol.. anyway.. I can't wait to make some soap using this.. I'm so excited!

Please see the post above yours. This thread is from 2011. Please start a new thread.

Thank you :)

Okay -
The DNR just called me back (they were all out of the office when we stopped in there today) and here is the official word:

Mark cannot sell us the fat, but he can give it to us to render. And it's okay for me to sell the soap on a limited basis, ie: local craft fairs. He says that if I were to do it commercially it would be a different matter. But locally, here, it's okay.

YIPPEE!!!
Now to get to work - going to use my lard recipe like I said. Should be an even exchange (sap values). Can not wait to see how the soap feels when done. I will report back after it gets made and also how it is after a short cure. I don't have the patience for a long one!!! :D

Seriously though, I'll let you all know how it turns out.
Cedar, eucalyptus, and mint, eh? I have those!! Ahhh the wheels are turning ......... !
Why would you not use the bear tallow sap value in soap calc. Although I am not real fanatical about numbers when making soap I do not ever just exchange one fat for another. Just curious when the value is there to use

Latest posts

Back