Hydrogenated Soybean better than Liquid?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I know lard makes a hard bar because it is a solid, but is crisco (hydrogenated oils) chemically different from it's liquid equivalent?

In other words if I melt down crisco and soap with it, will it produce a harder bar than liquid soybean oil?

It will be harder than liquid, but don't count on it making as hard a bar as lard. You would have to compensate with other things...usually by adding more coconut, combining it with palm, butters like cocoa, shea or mango etc, sodium lactate or salt. I would suggest lower water content (stronger lye solution) as well.

I have made two 2.5 lb batches of soap, one last weekend, and one last night with 45-60% veggie shortening, only 10% coconut, one had 5% each of cocoa butter and shea butter, the other had just 5% shea. I used 15 oz of liquid, and 2 tsp of salt disolved in the water before the lye is added. Both soaps are good and hard with great lather. Oh, and I don't bother paying for the crisco brand, I just buy the store brand.

Vegetable shortening is hydrogenated. They are hydrogenated by heating the oil and bubbling hydrogen gas (under pressure) through the oil in the pressence of metallic nickel. No nickel ends up in the oil, it is just a catalyst, which means it aids the process but is not used.

It definitely makes a harder soap than liquid soy/canola.

I like the generic brands because they usually have less additives and are cheaper than crisco.

It makes an awesome bar of soap .Some people use it right out of the can for face cream .

Kitn

Latest posts

Back