HP with fresh goat milk?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adoptapitbull

Reaction score
I'm going to try some HP soap today. I'm afraid that all the heat will burn the milk in my recipe. Should I make it 1/2 milk, 1/2 water, and mix the water with the lye, then add the milk later? I don't care so much about color, as I expect it to be a brownish color. I just don't want burned milk. Suggestions? Crock pot over stove? Oven over crock pot? Want to make some this afternoon, so all input would be appreciated!

I made HP in crock pot for the first time last weekend and used 100% goat milk. The first batch I let it gel on its own without any stirring (let the island melt on its own). I did notice a caramelized color... The second batch I stirred through the whole process and noticed less but the end result was about the same.

I really didn't notice burnt milk.

I have done it both ways (1/2 water to dissolve the lye, then add milk later; all milk to dissolve the lye), and have never burned or scorched a batch. But the soap does come out lighter if I add the milk later.

Do you keep your temps lower than if you hadn't used milk? Or just proceed the same way?

I might do a half coffee/half milk batch first to see the effect on a half milk batch and go from there. My crock pot did seem to almost burn the milk when I was rebatching, but I think that was because I just poured straight milk into the soap chunks. It wasn't incorporated fully as it would be in fresh soap.

Here goes nothing!

Success! Made a coffee soap that is to die for. I love that I could test it right away! I think I like HP!

where are the pictures??? Did you use all milk? I am interested in your process. I think I over cooked mine...

I used to use the low setting on the crockpot, but it was just way too hot. I start it off on low (when melting the solid oils, and then just to get everything going), but then I move the temperature to the warm setting, which is about 170 degrees, according to my laser thermometer.

I do this for both goat milk and my vegan-friendly soap. I don't cook so much with my crockpot anymore. When I am at my boyfriend's house in San Diego, I use the oven, because I could make 6 pound batches. When I am in Pasadena, my oven doesn't work, so now I cook it using the double broiler method. I have been using this method for about 3 weeks now, and my soap has been turning very nicely.

But if you ask me, I like the oven method the best, because I feel the heat is steady and even and the pot the soap is in is heated evenly from all directions. With the crockpot, there is a spot that heats up my soap much more quickly than the rest of the crockpot.

I am glad your crockpot soap turned out great! Yaaaaaay!!!!

I did mine on the stove and I thought it was so EASY!

Just a whole bunch of stirring and maybe 45 minutes later, my soap was done. I waited about 3 hours to cut, and it even cut like a dream!

I used 1/2 strong coffee and 1/2 milk mixed with the lye.

When it was looking like mashed potatoes, I added coffee grounds (LOVE!), cinnamon EO, and cocoa powder. I didn't know what else to scent it with since I had hoped the coffee scent would come through. The cinnamon works quite well, actually. I love, love, love the scrubby coffee grounds. I believe I may be obsessed with scrubby soap :)

I'll post pics later on today....if I have any left! lol J/K

Back