HP Soapmaking Friend Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I was revising a recipe to HP and came across a difference I don't understand.
These recipes are identical, except one I set up with "Superfat after cook." They are calling for different amounts of lye and water. The only explanation I can figure out is that the oil for 5% Superfat After Cook is not included in the 30 oz; so that in image #2, it is assuming I am
15778114988439066038764703210006.jpg
1577811548845289526698314395982.jpg
using 31.5 oz of oil? This makes sense, now that I think about it, but wanted to validate this with more experienced soapers.

I thought that I would cook all but the cocoa butter, then add that after the cook; in other words cook 28.5 oz of oil (plus water/lye solution); then add the 1.5 oz of cocoa butter after the cook. But it looks like the way this is calculated, that the "5% SF after cook" is in addition to 30 oz of oils and therefore the higher lye and water content.

Last edited:
It is the amount of fat added after all lye & oils have saponified, "after cook". May I ask which Soap Calculation tool you are using? I haven't seen this format before & I like it. Thanks
P.S. I'm not an expert soap maker, but have only done HP vs CP

When you figure it to add in superfat after cook the calculator will figure superfat at 0 giving you a higher lye and water number. This is to allow for the added oil. What you are actually doing is cooking with a 0 superfat hoping all the fats are saponified and the lye used up then adding in the superfat. It the best of worlds this happens but we really cannot totally control what oils are saponified to make soap although hp gives the best control. This is why the higher Lye figure, not a higher oil amount.

The first recipe has a lye and water discount in order to obtain a 5% superfat. The second recipe doesn’t include the discount because you will add the 1.5 oz after the lye and oils cook.

Back