HP soap question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiffanyjayne

Reaction score
Hi, I just made my first batch of HP soap, I mixed the oils, mixed in the lye water, mixed it to trace, let it cook then added colour and fragrance then put it in the molds, wrapped it in film and placed a towel over it....now on the video I watched demonstrating what I should do she went from molding it to unmolding it in 30 seconds so I wasn't sure if I should wrap it and leave it or should I put it in the fridge?

Hi Tiffany! The video was probably edited to be able to show the soap after it had hardened in the mold. You definitely should let it sit in the mold overnight until it is hard. You don't have to put it in the fridge, but that it your personal preference :)

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

I don't wrap HP, I think it needs to breathe to cool off and not create any moisture. That is just my preference.

Thank you both for the comments :) i don't know how to not gel my soap so i went with gelling it and it came out lovely, it's honey, oatmeal and vanilla

soap.jpg

Tiffany, your soap looks nice! When doing hp you're cooking your soap through the sponification process. Unlike cp which goes through the sponification process once you've got your soap to trace and put in the mold. I don't think you need to worry about gelling with hp.

Yeah, when you cook it, its gelling so no reason to cover. The sooner it cools, the sooner it firms up and can be unmolded.

Thank you :) my first soap was CP, unscented and uncoloured so this totally different but I really enjoyed it, I can't wait to make more.

Thank you Obsidian, i'd not done any HP before and wanted to stick to the video as much as possible so I had no way of messing it up but when she skipped from moulding it up to cutting it I got a little lost so just followed what I did with my CP, I know for next time :)

Your bars look really good for a first time HP. Mine came out kinda lumpy and ugly, still not sure if I like HP too much. It is nice to skip the whole gelling stage though and I use HP for my shampoo bars.

Latest posts

Back