HP Soap isn't firming up after 19 hours???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melharma

Reaction score
I made my first batch yesterday of hp soap and I poured in into the molds and it's been sitting for 19 hours and it's still mushy to the touch. like applesauce. Did I do something wrong? I did make up my recipe and ran it thru a lye calculator. Here is the recipe below:

10% castor
10% apricot kernel oil
30% avocado oil
10% mango butter
10% olive oil pomace
20% coconut oil 76deg
10% sweet almond oil

superfat discount 5%
water as percent of oil weight 38%
also I added 1oz ppo of FO

Hardness- 30 (suggested range 29-54)
Cleansing- 13 (12-22)
Conditioning-64 (44-69)
Bubbly-22 (14-46)
Creamy-26 (16-48)
Iodine- 69 (41-70)
INS- 135 (136-165)

like applesauce? it sounds like you didn't cook it long enough. did you zap test it before getting it in the mold?

when it's finished cooking it should be thicker than applesauce, like translucent mashed potatoes. I get a little ball of it on my fingertip and test. if it zaps, leave it to cook a little longer, then test again. if it doesn't zap, it's finished and you can mold it.

If this was a CP soap, it should set up, but be very soft when finished because of the high Iodine count and the high Castor oil percentage.

As a cooked soap, it should be marginally stiffer, but that iodine isn't going away.

I assume that it was cooked to the vaseline stage (Full gel) and allowed to cool for a few minutes before adding the 1 oz of FO?
It was then thrown into the molds while still hot, but with a texture like mashed potatoes or very thick applesauce, and it just never solidified from there?

ETA: Sunny beat me to it.

I also wanted to add that if it is just undercooked, it's not ruined, you can just put it back in your crock or whatever and cook it longer. A little of your FO may evaporate but at least the soap will be saved!

eta: lol spider man. :D

I cooked it in my crockpot for 2 hours, 15 min. and before I added my FO I did do the zap test, I took a little bit on my finger and touched it to my tongue and nothing so I assumed it was done. I might be wrong with the apple sauce description, probably more like mashed potatoes. It feels rather similar to how it was when I put it in the mold except it does have a little firm film over the top.

So with this all being said, what should I do with it? Cook it again or just let it sit?

Well, if it is still warm, but with a firm film on top, then the mold is probably insulated and it may take a while to finish cooling off and setting up (though 19 hours seems like a long time).

If, OTOH, it is room temp to the touch then it probably needs to be rebatched and allowed to cook off some more of the water.

hmmm. I guess if it were me, I would zap test it again, and if it didn't zap, I'd leave it.
and if it zapped I'd cook it more.

I know some of my HP that get a little too much liquid do come out more creamy and smooth, but take a while to firm. Is it possible you went a little heavy on the water? I know the recipe calls for 6.08 but that's kind of a super exact measurement, is that exactly what you added?

How exact is you scale? With a 16 ounce batch, the margin for error becomes huge if ur scale is off by three or four grams.. or if it doesn't go lower than whole grams.
five US quarters equal one ounce, make sure its accurate.

Back