how to tell if stainless

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asil02

Reaction score
Is there a way to tell if a pan is for sure stainless steel? My mom gave me an old pot that she got back when she and my dad got married (almost 50 years old). She is pretty sure it is stainless but the bottom is so worn I can't make out what the stamp says. It is a copper bottom pan. Are all copper bottom pans stainless?
Thanks!

If it has a copper bottom, I don,t think you can use it for soap making.

Asil02 said:
Is there a way to tell if a pan is for sure stainless steel? My mom gave me an old pot that she got back when she and my dad got married (almost 50 years old). She is pretty sure it is stainless but the bottom is so worn I can't make out what the stamp says. It is a copper bottom pan. Are all copper bottom pans stainless?
Thanks!

In my experience most all copper bottomed pans ARE stainless. I've never seen an aluminum pan with a copper bottom. Go ahead and test it if you've got nothing to lose. Just mix up a little lye in water and dump it in. If it doesn't cause a reaction to the pan you're good to go. Aluminum will make the lye bubble up and turn black.

When you test - just make sure you have the pan in the sink with vinegar handy......don't ask how I know.... :roll:

lathermaker I think I will just take a deep breath and give it a go and see what happens. And LINDY!! I will be sure to heed your warning.

I really hope it is stainless as this is a perfect sized pan for the small batches I do right now. That poor old pan has been through a lot. I remember using it to carry rocks and dirt when I was a kid!! Now I may get to use it for my soaps.... I am sure there is some kind of punch line in there somewhere!

Latest posts

Back