How to measure the amount of base to use.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaz

Reaction score
Hi all

I am hoping someone can answer this question. I'm a new soap-maker, and have a few moulds, all 12 fluid ounces. HOw can I work out the exact amount of M&P base to melt without having any wastage? I tried poutting water in a jug and the putting bits of soap base ina palstic bag to work out dis-placement, but I ended up with 16 ounces instead of 12. Do others have a way to working this out, or do you just make do with whatever amount you happen to melt on the day?

I am a fairly new soaper too and the experienced soapers will probably be able to tell you the right way to do it but I would use 12 1/2 -13 ounces of soap base for a 12 ounce mould , better to have too much then too little,if you have left overs don't throw it away pour them into small moulds or containers and save them to chop up as embeds.
If you don't know the size of your mould fill it with water and weigh the water then use the equivalent in soap base with just a little extra to make sure as l said before nothing is wasted you will find heaps of uses for those little pieces of left overs.

Back