How to insulate your soap loaf with a fancy swirl/peaked top

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saltydog

Reaction score
This question may be ridiculous (and mind you, I have not tried CP-YET) but if you make the beautiful, peaked tops that I see all the time, how do you cover this directly after pouring? I watch videos and see people insulate their soap loaves to gel, but do you need a special loaf mold with a top for this? Thanks

I never cover mine, I do CPOP & I just pop it in the oven @ 150 for an hour then turn the oven off & leave it over night.

I place my mold in a box that our office paper comes in and put the top on it. It then gets covered with a blanket. I've read about others leaving the loaf in a warm oven that has been shut off, but haven't personally tried it.

I sometimes put glad wrap loosely on the top, but its quite firm after I've done the swirly tops anyway.

I always set mine down in a box and just close the lid. When I first tried that I also put a blanket on top, but I kept overheating and getting cracks, so now I just close the lid and that is that. It works just fine, I get gel without cracks!

saltydog said:
Ahh...makes sense, ok thanks for the replies.
Um, what is CPOP?

Cold Process Oven Process :)

I also loosely cover mine with cling wrap, then I wedge it in a space on the kitchen bench between the microwave & blender and I can cover it with a thick towel, squishing the bulk of the towel down the sides against the mould so it's warm & snug however the cosy fit keeps the towel from resting too heavily on the top of the soap...if that makes any sense! :)

I have a special mold that was built with really high sides. In saying that I dont insulate any more, I just let it do its thing, if it looks like the gel is taking longer than expected I pop it in a warmed oven for an hour or two

I also have a homemade wooden mold which is a little higher than I want my soaps to be, so I just put the lid on and that's it. It always gels, sometimes even overheats - no need for insulation.

silly question: when and why do we want to make soap gel, and when and why do we not want to??
I make cp soap, and have never heard of doing this cpop. :) can someone help me understand?

Back