How much powder colorant to add to recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countymounty22

Reaction score
In making the law enforcement soap, what is the minimum amount of powder I need on hand? I am looking for a little bit darker blue than the picture. Also, will ultramarine fade? Should I add more to make it darker than I prefer? This will be my first time using powder so any help is appreciated.

Recipe
24 fl oz Sunflower oil
24 fl oz Olive oil
21 oz Coconut oil

[attachment=0:19ji9r9z]thumbnail.jpg[/attachment:19ji9r9z]

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 212
It's hard to say what amount to use - often you have to experiment with colorants to see what the color becomes in soap and how much to use to achieve the shade you want. I generally use micas so I really don't know if ultramarines fade. I don't have any soap left in which I used ultramarine colorants except for one batch which I just made this weekend. It's too early to know if it will fade.

I noticed BB has a labcolor called Royal Blue. You might want to look at it. Here's a link to where it was mentioned on SoapQueen's blog. It's shown in the top layer in the right hand soap in a picture. It might be close to the color you want and she does mention the amount to use. http://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body- ... or-tips-2/

If it's a little brighter than you prefer, you can add black labcolor or a little (very little) activated charcoal to tone it down. But again, this would be something you have to experiment with and see how it turns out. Of course, someone may be able to give you info on how to achieve the blue you want.

I'm a little concerned about your recipe. The sunflower percentage is about 34% which is a bit high. Sunflower doesn't help with hardness and it may take longer than 4 weeks to really harden enough. It also has a shorter shelf life and may contribute to DOS. I'm not saying your soap will develop DOS but your recipe does have an Iodine value of 79 which is high. I use sunflower a lot in batches but I usually keep it around 10% although I have occasionally used 15%.

Do you have any other oils you could add to the recipe to help increase the hardness?

Other posts that I've seen regarding this question all say that coloring is a matter of trial and error. I've found that to be true. You may want to make a small batch & experiment. Make sure you take notes so you can duplicate the color again. I haven't been using colors for very long so I can't answer your question on fading. I hope this helps!

Hazel said:
It's hard to say what amount to use - often you have to experiment with colorants to see what the color becomes in soap and how much to use to achieve the shade you want. I generally use micas so I really don't know if ultramarines fade. I don't have any soap left in which I used ultramarine colorants except for one batch which I just made this weekend. It's too early to know if it will fade.

I noticed BB has a labcolor called Royal Blue. You might want to look at it. Here's a link to where it was mentioned on SoapQueen's blog. It's shown in the top layer in the right hand soap in a picture. It might be close to the color you want and she does mention the amount to use. http://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body- ... or-tips-2/

If it's a little brighter than you prefer, you can add black labcolor or a little (very little) activated charcoal to tone it down. But again, this would be something you have to experiment with and see how it turns out. Of course, someone may be able to give you info on how to achieve the blue you want.

I'm a little concerned about your recipe. The sunflower percentage is about 34% which is a bit high. Sunflower doesn't help with hardness and it may take longer than 4 weeks to really harden enough. It also has a shorter shelf life and may contribute to DOS. I'm not saying your soap will develop DOS but your recipe does have an Iodine value of 79 which is high. I use sunflower a lot in batches but I usually keep it around 10% although I have occasionally used 15%.

Do you have any other oils you could add to the recipe to help increase the hardness?

Thanks for the great advice Hazel. That recipe is actually tripled.
The original is
8 fl oz Sunflower oil
8 fl oz Olive oil
7 oz Coconut oil

and makes a very hard bar. I am still a newb so I figured why not just triple it. I ran it through BB's soap calc to get the lye and water amounts. I have 2lbs of shea butter available also. I am looking to make 4lbs and 5oz bars each. Thanks again Hazel.

Since you've made it before and it's turned out hard, then I apologize for bringing it up. I was just a bit concerned about the percentage.

Hazel said:
Since you've made it before and it's turned out hard, then I apologize for bringing it up. I was just a bit concerned about the percentage.

My newbie thinking was that if it turned out in small amounts why wouldn't it turn out in large amounts or am I wrong?

What about this recipe?
10oz. Sunflower
12oz. Olive
29oz. Coconut
22oz. Palm

Oleic Acid is medium. I have seen you talking about this but, cannot remember the importance
Lauric Acid is just under medium.
Linoleic Acid is under medium.

INS is 172

It's fine. I was concerned it would be too soft but you said it got hard.

BTW, the second recipe you posted has a cleansing value of 27. I think it would be too drying so stay with the first one. :D

Latest posts

Back