How Long Before Unmolding

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPowers

Reaction score
Hi... just made my 2nd batch of soap. I've seen many recipes that say to unmold after 24 hours but then I've seen a number that say 48 hrs or more. Is there a rule of thumb. I poured this last batch at 2pm yesterday so I have about 4 hrs to go but the top seems really 'sticky'.

Appreciate any thoughts or comments. Thanks a bunch!

I've made about 4/5 and not totally sure either (have used a silicone loaf mold yet, just.milk cartons). I think if you have a silicone mold and pull the sides and the soap "separates" from the side you should be okay? I'm wondering if it's possible to wait too long before unmolding and what negative consequences that would have. For context, I soaped on Saturday and am not planning on unmolding until Thursday.

I've made about 4/5 and not totally sure either (have used a silicone loaf mold yet, just.milk cartons). I think if you have a silicone mold and pull the sides and the soap "separates" from the side you should be okay? I'm wondering if it's possible to wait too long before unmolding and what negative consequences that would have. For context, I soaped on Saturday and am not planning on unmolding until Thursday.
I think it also depends on the recipe re: how much of the batch is hard vs soft oils

Hi... just made my 2nd batch of soap. I've seen many recipes that say to unmold after 24 hours but then I've seen a number that say 48 hrs or more. Is there a rule of thumb. I poured this last batch at 2pm yesterday so I have about 4 hrs to go but the top seems really 'sticky'.

It will totally depend on your recipe and any additives. I can unmold mine after about 18-24 hours. Mine is high lard and I also use sodium lactate. My salt soap I can un-mold at 3 hours and cut or they get too hard to cut.

High liquid recipes may required days. It will also depend on if you gel your soap or not. Non gelled soap takes longer to un-mold than gelled soap. You can add salt dissolved into your water before lye which will help with some hardness.

You'll have to see what your particular recipe needs.

There are a few factors that will help you decide when it is hard enough to unmold.

First, is your recipe. If you have a lot of soft oils around 40% or more of a single oil, it may take more than 24 hours. Did you use sodium lactate or salt in order to harden it quicker. These 2 ingredients can shorten the hardening time.

Some of the more experienced soapers say that if it feels like cheddar when you press on it then it is ready to unmold. The soap should spring back when you press on it. The sticky feeling could mean that it needs more time before you cut it. Sometimes mine will be sticky but hard enough to unmold and I let it sit unmolded until the sticky goes away.

If you gel your soap, that can decrease the hardening time. However it really does boil down to a combination of things and experience will help you with this decision as you go along.

Experience starts with asking good questions and reading everything you can.

I have also noticed the mold selected can also influence how fast the soap is ready to remove from the mold. That is more related to how well the mold is insulated, either by it's own design (wood holds in heat) or by externally applied methods.

There are a few factors that will help you decide when it is hard enough to unmold.

First, is your recipe. If you have a lot of soft oils around 40% or more of a single oil, it may take more than 24 hours. Did you use sodium lactate or salt in order to harden it quicker. These 2 ingredients can shorten the hardening time.

Some of the more experienced soapers say that if it feels like cheddar when you press on it then it is ready to unmold. The soap should spring back when you press on it. The sticky feeling could mean that it needs more time before you cut it. Sometimes mine will be sticky but hard enough to unmold and I let it sit unmolded until the sticky goes away.

If you gel your soap, that can decrease the hardening time. However it really does boil down to a combination of things and experience will help you with this decision as you go along.

Experience starts with asking good questions and reading everything you can.

thank you... I pulled the edges of the mold away from the loaf and decided it was ok to unmold - which it was. It also cut very nicely.

and I did use sodium lactate
Keep in mind that your soap hardening is not the same as it being cured and ready to use. The high amount of olive oil means that you will need at least 6 weeks of curing time, give or take. I am not fond of high OO in soap but some people really like it. I prefer safflower oil over OO, I find that it cures quicker but that is my opinion and experience.

The high amount of olive oil means that you will need at least 6 weeks of curing time, give or take.
Or more if it's really high (I consider "high" to be 40% or more), think months rather than weeks. 6 weeks is a very normal curing time and not one that I would consider long enough for a high OO soap.

Latest posts

Back