How important is distilled water?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshleyR

Reaction score
Another newbie question! Hope you all don't mind....

Is it REALLY important to use DISTILLED water when making soap?

I've noticed that a few sources have said that you can use distilled OR regular tap water, but that distilled was "preferred".

As I've mentioned in other posts, I live in a really tiny town with no access to a lot of supplies, so I'm wondering if using plain 'ole tap water in my soap will really be a big deal. Will the soap totally flop?

Thanks!

Hi Ashley,

My first couple of batches I just used water out of my tap, which is well water, and they turned out fine. I don't use water anymore though, and use aloe juice and goatmilk, and last week even used beer.

I believe some people do use distilled water, but if you do a search, I believe that other people use tap water with fine results. I am pretty new still, so I can't really tell you why on either. I am sure someone will jump in though.

Hows the lye hunt?

ETA: If I had read further, I would have realized you found lye! Awesome!

Depends on what is in your water. I get terrible ash if I use even filtered tap water so I stick with distilled.

Hard water contains minerals which may affect quality of finished soap, but many people use straight tap water without problems.

Our well ater is UV filtered and passed through a salt softener bath. I use it without any problems.

My first batch I forgot to use distilled, used tap instead. Thru it away after a month of curing - it was crumbly and just icky-looking. Of course, this is dirty tampa water, I won't even drink it because if you fill a glass and let it sit - you see sediment at the bottom.

Also, for 69 cents a gallon - is it even worth chancing it. Your tap water may be fine today, but contaminated tomorrow for whatever reason.

Portland has very clean, very soft tap water so that's what I use. I've never had a problem.

Thanks everyone. I've made two batches so far using tap water, and no problems yet! I think our water is pretty clean. :D

I'm jeaous of you guys and your fancy clean water :roll: I bet you guys even use it to cook with... and your clothes aren't dingy after three washings..

I still think you should use distilled a few times, just so you can compare.

Latest posts

Back