How do YOU melt pounds of M&P?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

candice19

Reaction score
I made my first 4 lb molds of M&P yesterday. I ended up dividing the soap and melting 10 different small batches to do 4 lbs. There has got to be an easier way.

How do you all melt 4 lbs (or multiple pounds) of soap at a time? Not all at once, right? How can I minimize the number of smaller batches to melt at once?

I tried all kinds of way when first starting out. I finally ended up getting a Presto Pot. I LOVE it. It did take a little getting used to but once I had it down I will never go back to any other way.

Carole

What's a presto pot?

I cut mine into chunks and melt them all at once.
My mold holds 4 lbs of MP soap, so I just make 4lb batches at a time.

If I'm using other molds, I just scoop out what I need out of the big pot and mix it in a bowl or other container.

I am wondering about using a slow cooker.... is that the same thing as a presto pot?

They had one one sale at Canadian Tire last week for $20.

You can buy a Presto Pot at WalMart. I have two stores in my area..........one had them, one did not. They run around $23.00 if I remember correctly. There is a temperature dial so you can set it around 200 degrees or lower to melt your base. I do three pounds at a time because that is what my log mold holds. Do a Google search and you will find a picture.

Carole

Carole

Sounds like a slow cooker to me - only you can control the temperature.
I have a roaster that does the same thing - but I'm not about to make soap in it... Its HUUUUGE. I can roast a 20lbs turkey in it! LOL

Well, I'm probably going down to the US in a couple of weeks so I'm going to stop in at a Walmart if I can and see if I can find a smaller one =)

KSL said:
But with this, the chunks all melt at different rates - you'll have half liquid half semi-melted chunks in the middle of the process. Does this affect the already melted soap if you keep heating it? I'm guessing that 4 lbs of soap takes a few minutes to melt, even at 30-45 second intervals.

And the Presto Pot, is clean up really as easy as they say?

:oops:
and it has a spigot!
Okay.. sold.

I would assume you just use that to melt your base and dispense it to mix in your addatives? Or do you cook and mix all in there and then dispense into your mold?

Same Q with the cleaning.. =P

candice19 said:
KSL said:
But with this, the chunks all melt at different rates - you'll have half liquid half semi-melted chunks in the middle of the process. Does this affect the already melted soap if you keep heating it? I'm guessing that 4 lbs of soap takes a few minutes to melt, even at 30-45 second intervals.

And the Presto Pot, is clean up really as easy as they say?

Yes, I melt a little at a time, as it melts I add more. It can take up to an hour to melt down completely. I also find that I have to gently stir it quite a bit because my pot is wide, not tall, and the top layer forms a film. I mean, it WORKS - but maybe that presto pot thing works better?

I'm willing to try! hehe..

I can melt up to 10 ils of cut up base in my soap pot that I bought at MICHELS craft store,made just for larger amounts ,it has two settings MELT and WARM. I love it . I have also used a large crockpot which does a lovely job as well. :lol:

carolynp said:
I can melt up to 10 ils of cut up base in my soap pot that I bought at MICHELS craft store,made just for larger amounts ,it has two settings MELT and WARM. I love it . I have also used a large crockpot which does a lovely job as well. :lol:

What are ils...??

But with this, the chunks all melt at different rates - you'll have half liquid half semi-melted chunks in the middle of the process. Does this affect the already melted soap if you keep heating it?
As long as you stir every onec in a while it's fine. It's just like melting cheese. Cube it up & stir once in a while.

ils

HA HA HA HA , come on now ils is what you get when you mean to spell LBS and you have spent the last 8 hours cleaning up after 400 students and 40 something faculty and staff. You got a problem with that ????? LOL LOL :lol:

Re: ils

carolynp said:
HA HA HA HA , come on now ils is what you get when you mean to spell LBS and you have spent the last 8 hours cleaning up after 400 students and 40 something faculty and staff. You got a problem with that ????? LOL LOL :lol:

Bahahahaha... that was funny!! I wondered if it was pounds, but then I thought, "I'm new to soaping, maybe ils is soaping terminology." Too funny!

BTW, with a day like that, I can see why you are into soaping!!! Sounds like you also could use a nice hot bath! :lol:

Now that we've settled was ils is (that sounds weird.... ils is)... do you guys who do large batches use the soap batch all the same way, or portion it out to color it or add to it... ie, using it as a "ready pot" for lack of a better term.

LOL! I thought it was some Euro measurment but was too ashamed to ask :oops: .

I have a Soap Kettle too, that I bought from Joann's fabric store. I can only fit 5lbs in my pot, which is similar to a crock pot and has a removable pot that allows you to easily remove it for pouring and clean up.

The first pot I bought was teflon coated. That didn't last long though because the teflon somehow got scratched and then little black specks started showing up in my soap. I bought more kettles, only this time they were aluminum and not teflon coated, so I don't have to worry about scratching them.

The pot normally costs about $24, but with coupons you can usually get them for 40% - 50% off.

When using the pot to melt down the 4-5 pounds, how long does that take to completely melt?

Gosh, I don't know--maybe 10-15 minutes??? Next time I use it I'll notice how long it takes. But, the thing is, once it gets melted, you better keep an eye on it, because it will seriously bubble up and overflow!

Once it melts all you have to do is turn it down to warm and it will be fine. You can even turn it off and let it solidify. Turn it back on to melt and you're back in business, no harm done.

10-15 mins?! :shock:

I'm torn between the Presto Pot and the Soap Kettle. I hear the SK is hard to clean, but at the same time, the spout is hard to clean on the Presto Pot.

Anyone know exactly how tall the Presto Pot spigot is off the ground? I want to see if it can pour directly into my mold without me picking the thing up. thanks!

Latest posts

Back