How do we feel about canola (rapeseed) oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, I used it a fair bit as a replacement for olive oil which I don't like. DOS was an issue but I was using it at around 20%. I didn't notice much slime except when I did a predominantly liquid oil batch (was around 75% liquid oils). I haven't noticed any particular qualities it brings to the soap aside from price point and that it's relatively local (I'm in the UK). Ultimately though I tend to use sunflower oiler because it's a bit cheaper, although I've not soaped so much since the Ukraine invasion so I'm not sure that holds true anymore. I quite like cooking with it as well.

@CpnDouchette Can you clarify what you mean by “DOS was an issue but I was using it at around 20%.” ? Was it only an issue when you used it above 20%, but not a problem at 20%? Were you using high oleic canola oil?
Honestly, your mileage will vary with canola/rapeseed oil. I love canola in soap, it is cheap and I prefer it to olive oil, almond and avocado. I still have a gallon each of almond and avocado oils I bought over a year ago and in that time, I have used 20 litres of canola oil for soap. DOS is not an issue for me, even at 75% both in liquid and solid soap. My canola is mid oleic from Superstore.

I bought organic, non GMO canola for about the same price as sweet almond oil in bulk from Shay and company.
I think sweet almond looks better label wise, but I really love canola at about 15-20 percent.

I've postponed soap-making because San Antonio has been incredibly hot, and the only place I can do it is either the garage or the back patio, and neither is tolerable at the moment. I almost pass out just in the minute it takes me to walk from the parking space to the Dr's lobby! Later today I leave for Mexico then further South (El Salvador) where, incredibly, the temps are COOLER. Here it's been 100-102F (38.5—39C) whereas at my nanny's? 76-80F (29-37.8C or so).
So I'll attempt it when I get back.
Oh, and the lard and coconut oils I set in the crock pot in the garage, anticipating the cooler temps at night that never came, are liquid. That hot. 🥵 And with Littles at home, I won't risk doing it inside.
Happy Summer, everyone!

Nope - never made it 😂

@KiwiMoose
After all that controversy, lol?

I bought some high oleic canola oil too just to see if it was similar to HO safflower oil.

At first I was so confused reading your responses because it was out of character for you and nothing in the thread currently matched your responses! Then I realized the controversial parts of the thread had been deleted. Now I’m so very curious about what could be so controversial about cooking oil, lol.

@KiwiMoose

I bought some high oleic canola oil too just to see if it was similar to HO safflower oil.

At first I was so confused reading your responses because it was out of character for you and nothing in the thread currently matched your responses! Then I realized the controversial parts of the thread had been deleted. Now I’m so very curious about what could be so controversial about cooking oil, lol.
A couple of the members had a bit of an argument unrelated to the oil at hand.

I made a version of borax soap/mechanics soap today. I used lard/tallow/castor/canola.
I used a cup of boiling water to dissolve the borax... And then I added about 4 oz of soap shreds to the recipe.
It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

This has nothing to do with anything, except I used canola 😂

Yes! I have the Costco canola. It’s 64% oleic acid so on the higher end of mid. I just started using it for mixing micas but have been afraid to use it at higher percentages. So you have used it successfully without any issues with DOS?
When you say you use it t to mix micas, do you discount that amount of oil from your oils? Thank you

@KiwiMoose

Where do you get high oleic? Is it on the front of the label? I never see it or on Sunflower oil either :)

Where do you get high oleic? Is it on the front of the label? I never see it or on Sunflower oil either :)
Brambleberry has a high oleic canola oil that is one of their cheaper oils.

This is a grocery brand of high oleic safflower oil that was recently on sale (~4/lb). It has vitamin E added to it already. Since I’m at the very beginning learning stage I’m not buying in bulk so $4/pound is about the price point I’m at :(
IMG_1840.jpeg

I haven’t come across high oleic sunflower oil either unless it is blended with other oils.

Last edited:
When you say you use it t to mix micas, do you discount that amount of oil from your oils? Thank you

I recently tried this and it did not turn out well to pull from my base oils. Maybe because my batches are so small, and my liquid oils a small percentage, but I ended up with a mess where I needed to combine the colors all back together.

I was going for raspberry pink/rose clay with orange drops and yellow drops. Now I know what orange+raspberry vs yellow+raspberry look like (dark orangy coral and lighter dark orangy coral).

My last two batches ended up as plop into the mold messes.

Brambleberry has a high oleic canola oil that is one of their cheaper oils.

This is a grocery brand of high oleic safflower oil that was recently on sale (~4/lb). It has vitamin E added to it already. Since I’m at the very beginning learning stage I’m not buying in bulk so $4/pound is about the price point I’m at :(
View attachment 73581

I haven’t come across high oleic sunflower oil either unless it is blended with other oils.
Thank you!

Is it on the front of the label?
Not always. Sometimes it will say "high heat." Other times you have to look at the dietary information panel to determine if it is high oleic. There are some good threads on here about how you figure that out.

I do remember @dibbles saying that she finds reasonably-priced HO sunflower (or safflower?) at Trader Joe's.

Not always. Sometimes it will say "high heat." Other times you have to look at the dietary information panel to determine if it is high oleic. There are some good threads on here about how you figure that out.

I do remember @dibbles saying that she finds reasonably-priced HO sunflower (or safflower?) at Trader Joe's.
It's HO sunflower. They didn't have it for awhile, but the last couple of times I've been there it has been in stock at the same $4 for 2 lbs. I haven't been able to source a reasonably priced safflower oil locally.

Latest posts

Back