How did you handle the time it took your first batches to cu

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendybyrd

Reaction score
Well, I've finally gotten all my ingredients in and made a couple of small batches of cp soap...now what? I can't tell how they will be for at least 3 weeks! So I don't know what I might be doing wrong or not, or how exactly the different oils and such will feel upon using.

I guess I'll just make a bunch of tiny experimental batches to see how the different recipes and oils feel later, but man, I'm still going to have oodles of soap to try.

What did you guys do in this nebulous limbo period?

Compulsively read and search the forum, think about my next batches, order supplies, and eat chocolates one after the other!! :)

Jude

Hi Wendy,
You could do a zap test (rub your wet finger on the soap and lick it) When all there is is the taste of soap and no 'zap', you'll be able to try your soap right away. Of course it will be much better in time!
But I'm always way to curious and exited to wait!

Good plan Dag, I think I'll try that, Thankee! (this falls under the "DOH!" category of enlightenment)

Jude, I quit smoking 5 months ago, any more chocolate and my soapmaking budget will have to get spent on new pants. But thanks for the thought. :lol:

I just kept making soap! I still do that! I try to go in different directions while I wait for stuff to cure. I'll work on a salt bar, then I'll move onto my conditioning bar, then one for DH and oily skin....too fun!

wendybyrd said:
Good plan Dag, I think I'll try that, Thankee! (this falls under the "DOH!" category of enlightenment)

Jude, I quit smoking 5 months ago, any more chocolate and my soapmaking budget will have to get spent on new pants. But thanks for the thought. :lol:

yeaaaaaah.... I tend to try my soaps the day I cut them... I cant help it I m horribly impatient... I do zap test before though...

Wendybyrd,

Congrats on your five months of being smoke-free! :)

Jude

IanT said:
wendybyrd said:

yeaaaaaah.... I tend to try my soaps the day I cut them... I cant help it I m horribly impatient... I do zap test before though...

I think Ian just gave me an excuse to try my week old (?) honeysuckle soaps... "Ian uses them the day he cuts them, so I can too!" ;)

I think I'll just do an end bit though... off to shower!

BTW- the new pants comment made me laugh! :lol:

kittywings said:
IanT said:
wendybyrd said:

I think Ian just gave me an excuse to try my week old (?) honeysuckle soaps... "Ian uses them the day he cuts them, so I can too!" ;)

lol well if thats the case Im including a legal disclaimer! :

You use your own soap at your own risk! (as I do mine!....and I TRUST my soap :) )

A WEEK!?!?! I dont think Id make 36 hrs! lol

IanT said:
kittywings said:
IanT said:
wendybyrd said:

lol well if thats the case Im including a legal disclaimer! :

You use your own soap at your own risk! (as I do mine!....and I TRUST my soap :) )

A WEEK!?!?! I dont think Id make 36 hrs! lol

lol, I almost was gonna say, don't worry, I won't sue. I've tried mine earlier (3 days or so) , but I've made a LOT of soap lately and I guess that keeps me from raping my soap stores, but that honeysuckle has been calling to me BIG TIME! What makes things worse is that I have this salt bar in the shower that WILL NOT DIE!!!

So far today not well. I don't even have it out of the mold and am obessing. I would love to start another batch but don't have anywhere to put it at the moment.

artisan soaps said:
heyjude said:
Compulsively read and search the forum, think about my next batches, order supplies, and eat chocolates one after the other!! :)

Jude

OK fess up - how many boxes or blocks did you eat??

I pretty much did the same, read, read and read .. Bumped up tons of threads from years back too :lol:

But I also kept soaping every other day .. Making small batches and multiple variations so I could compare when they were all cured ..

Then once I ran out of cure space I started playing with lotions and creams = instant gratification ;)

Let's just say Fanny Farmer Candy is my friend and telling of the part of my anatomy which expanded first! :oops:

Jude

I started out making HP in the crock pot so I could use it right away! It was wonderful, but it has gotten harder and better while it has cured longer.

I don't have the patience to do only CP!

I know just how you feel, I quit feb 2 this year and gain 12 pounds. But I don't think it all was chocolates.

I kept making soap and researched anything I could find about soapmaking and took copious notes .

Kitn

yeah I think I was up for like 1 to 2 months til like 5 am reading readin readin readin reaaaaaaaaaaaaaading...everything i could get my hands on...

I'm doing some significant (I think) research, lotsa reading of soaping books and this forum. I'm going to try some CPHP on Saturday, I work during the days and don't have enough evening time to babysit a crockpot of soap for the first time. Besides, I'd hate to get my husband's hopes up. I can see it now, I'm in the bathroom or something when he gets home, he spies the crockpot on the table and decides to do a tiny bit of snitching... It's too mean to contemplate. Best to do it when he is around to warn off personally.

Wait 4 weeks to test soap?!!???! Mother Theresa Im not! :lol: When I cut the block into bars I cut one of the bars into 3 or 4 fingers so they dry a little quicker & have one at the sink after about a week,just to test!(NO willpower..at ALL!) Don't judge your soap after that short time tho! They just get better n better as they age. Like me! :D Ha ha ha :D

Latest posts

Back