High Coconut Oil Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stacykins

Reaction score
So, tomorrow I am making a run to Whole Foods to get some oils for soap making. Now that I got some hands on experience in a class, I want to make soap #2 while I have access to a kitchen!

I was wanting to make a mostly coconut oil soap with 5-10% castor oil. I know pure coconut oil soap needs a high superfat to be conditioning, and I was planning on it. But will the castor oil DOS in a 15-20% superfat soap? Should I just do a 100% coconut soap? I am not using anything like coconut milk, just reverse osmosis water. I don't want to do anything too complicated yet.

http://springcreekoffroad.com/images/so ... esults.pdf

This link says pure castor oil soap will DOS :( but maybe if in a small concentration in coconut oil, it might not?

Thanks for any info/advise :D

15-20% is a pretty high super fat in my opinion, but worth a try. I find coconut oil to be very drying and I only use 10% or less, and I have gotten the oil on my hands and found that it made me feel so dry, I don't know how great it will be supper fatted to that extreme - but of course it will be a good experiment!

If you are worried about DOS, which is the oxidation of the superfatted oils in your soap, try adding antioxidants such as cinnamon, cocoa powder, green/oolong/ceylon teas, ginger, cloves, rosemary, oat flour, and other substances with high ORAC values. They just need to be mixed in well (particulates such as cocoa powder and cinnamon will leach antioxidants about a mm radius around the particle, so they must be well spread). Check out this site for other natural substances with high antioxidant properties (ORAC value): http://oracvalues.com/sort/orac-value

They will extend the life of your soap by at least 6 months. Vit E has also been used to help prevent the oxiation of oils, but I have not tried it before. :) [/img]

Yea, the 100% coconut oil soap maybe was a bit ambitious right now! I'll probably have a list of other oils in mind and only do 25% coconut with a superfat level of 5% maybe

Off to Whole Foods now :D

I made a small batch 100% Co 20% SF & it was great! Not drying at all. It's not my absolute all time favorite soap, but I like it alot! As does everyone I've given it to!

I'll be making a OO/CO sometime this week & can't wait to get started on that!

Stacykins said:
So, tomorrow I am making a run to Whole Foods to get some oils for soap making. Now that I got some hands on experience in a class, I want to make soap #2 while I have access to a kitchen!

I was wanting to make a mostly coconut oil soap with 5-10% castor oil. I know pure coconut oil soap needs a high superfat to be conditioning, and I was planning on it. But will the castor oil DOS in a 15-20% superfat soap? Should I just do a 100% coconut soap? I am not using anything like coconut milk, just reverse osmosis water. I don't want to do anything too complicated yet.

http://springcreekoffroad.com/images/so ... esults.pdf

This link says pure castor oil soap will DOS :( but maybe if in a small concentration in coconut oil, it might not?

Thanks for any info/advise :D
spendy, why dont you add some olive oil or canola?

any soap very high in solid fats is going to be somewhat challenging (soap at 115 degrees or so, no accelerating FOs) but obviously in my experience those high CO bars are not drying if superfatted at 10%+.

castor is a very stable oil, and will not contribute to DOS even at a high superfat.

and actually, according to the Caveman Chemist and his experiments (Dr. Kevin M. Dunn, Professor of Chemistry, Hampden-Sydney College, Australia), the level of superfat within the same formula do not contribute to DOS. go figure.

I just got some olive, red palm, coconut, and a small thing of castor oil. I'll be messing with soapcalc to figure out an exact recipe (I knew approximately what I'd need, just not exactly).

I had to visit two Ace hardware stores to find the lye. The first one was out. Apparently lye is used to make pretzels somehow?!

I got inexpensive EOs to scent it with, peppermint and cedarwood. Hopefully peppermint doesn't overpower the cedarwood.

carebear said:
(Dr. Kevin M. Dunn, Professor of Chemistry, Hampden-Sydney College, Australia)

Hampden Sydney College is in Virginia, a couple hours south of me. It's one of the only all male colleges in the US.

Deda said:
carebear said:

Hampden Sydney College is in Virginia, a couple hours south of me. It's one of the only all male colleges in the US.
omg i think thats the equivalent of putting me in the middle of the desert blind with no water :shock:

Interesting that a few male only universities still exist!

I got a Hamilton 2 speed hand blender with an additional whisk attachment. Should I use the normal blade for SB or the whisk attachment?

Deda said:
carebear said:

OMG I actually knew that and meant to type Virginia but my brain made the syndey-australia connection (plus they both end in an "a".

now I feel like quite the fool LOL!

Hey, I only know where the school is because they have amazing old genealogy books/records that they will lend through Intralibrary Loan.
Now I'm going to see if I can get copies of the paper written/published by Dr Dunn through the library :lol:

Stacykins said:
Interesting that a few male only universities still exist!

I got a Hamilton 2 speed hand blender with an additional whisk attachment. Should I use the normal blade for SB or the whisk attachment?

Stacykins,
I've got a Hamilton SB. Today I made 100% OO soap and I was using the whisk. It was takin foreverrrr to trace. So slowww, I was beginning to think I'd done something wrong. I think 100% OO just takes a lot longer....anyway I switched to the normal blade and trace was almost instant. I know it was about time anyway but I do believe the different attachment made a difference.

Jo

you use the normal attachment that looks a little like a bell with a blade instead of a clapper), not the whisk attachment (the whisk will incorporate air into the mix which you don't want)

IanT said:
Deda said:
It's one of the only all male colleges in the US.
omg i think thats the equivalent of putting me in the middle of the desert blind with no water :shock:
smiley1735.gif
I believe it!

Digit

Back