High Altitude Soap Making

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassgirl

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm so glad I found this forum just before I make my first batch of soap! I've been researching this for a few months and have never found the subject of high altitude addressed. Maybe because it isn't an issue?

Anyhow, I live at almost 8,000'. Do I have to adjust my recipes in any way, or the temperature I mix at?

Thanks!

8000 feet...... Leadville, CO??

As I recall from high altitude cooking, water boils at a lower temperature because of the lower air pressure, and cakes need an extra spoonful of flour because they rise too fast for the same reason. Never tried soap at high altitude, but thinking about the process logically, I don't see why there would be any changes needed in CP soap since there's no boiling or leavening involved.

Close...southern Colorado! I think Leadville's at 9,000 something.

Thanks for the response. I guess I'll just proceed as planned. After doing a lot of reading, I'm still a little unclear about different temperatures, so I guess I'll just have to experiment.

Thanks again!

I have not a clue about soaping at high altitudes, but maybe try Paul's RTCP method. Then there are no worries about temp. It is in the tutorial section. :D

Digit

Thanks!

I just read through that and I'm not sure I understand it. Don't your solid oils turn solid again at room temperature?

Anyway, gotta go to work now, but will study it more in depth later. :D

I live at 8.000 feet and I have been making RTCP since November. Actually, I started out with soaping around 100 degrees, but I quickly went to the RT method. No problems whatsoever with the altitude factor. My climate is often extremely dry as well and my soaps cure out nicely in four weeks. Because of the dryness and altitude factor, I do not take a water discount...the soaps could dry out too fast and warp. Also, for that reason, I cut my soaps thicker than 1 inch. At your altitude, if it is also dry, one inch soaps could cure fast and warp up on you. That is about the only adjustment I make for my high and dry location. I saw the ugliest soaps of my life at my local farmers' market last Saturday...little dried up, curled up brown, ashy soaps...no labels, no ingredients...looked like...dare I say it here? Turds

Oh, Bassgirl....I just noticed where you live...we are nearly neighbors...yup, you have high and dry. I probably beat you in the drought factor....I live south of you and on a very clear day, from the top of the 10,000 foot mountain behind my house, I can probably see you! :lol:

Latest posts

Back