Hi from Kentucky

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JanelleTrebuna

Reaction score
Hi. My name is Janelle and I began making soap for personal consumption and gift giving 2 years ago.
I went to my local farmers market and bought two bars of handcrafted soap. I fell in love. I panicked when I was close to running out and the farmers market had closed for the Fall/Winter. I began a search on You Tube for soap making videos. The dollar store soap with oatmeal, powdered milk, and honey was the first soap I ever made. I used soap calc to create a recipe that my family and I both love. I've begun branching out and trying new fragrances. My current favorite is Lemon Verbena by Bramble Berry. My husband picked out some manly scents so I could soap for him. His favorite so far is Campfire. My 19 yr old refuses to use store bought soap now. Lol. I've created a monster. So I make soap at least once a month to keep up with the needs of the 3 of us.
I haven't done much in the way of coloring soap. The only colorant I have tried was from Michaels and it didn't do much in my small batch of 6 soaps. I have only made cp soaps so far.
In addition to making soap, I quilt, sew, x-stitch, dye fabric, and knit (badly). I'm looking forward to beginning candle making next year. I live in KY with my beagle/lab mix Millie, my husband Todd, and our 3 grown daughters (only one lives at home :) ) And I work full time, so for now, soaping is my weekend hobby.
I'm looking forward to learning a lot from this forum and trying some new things!

Welcome to the forum.:)
thank you :)

Welcome, Janelle!

IrishLass :)
thank you :)

Welcome Janelle :), you are one busy lady.
Thank you :) lol-- I need to have a smattering of things to do- something to do while sitting, an instant gratification project, a long term investment, and quick things. The soap making process is relatively quick to do--its the wait for the curing that gets to me. ;) When I retire I'm hoping that will be able to accomplish so much more!

Hi Janelle and welcome! My story is similar to yours as to how I got started.
Farmers markets are dangerous ;) lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome, Janelle. Love your name and I also like Kentucky. You have some gorgeous scenic areas in your state.
Thank you! Kentucky can be absolutely breathtaking--especially in the Fall. We moved here 12 years ago from Southern CA and it has been a breath of fresh air. :)

My gosh, what a major change! I am also a California transplant. My husband is from here, but he'd been living in California for about 20-25 years when we moved back to his hometown about 13 years ago. As a California native who lived nowhere else for half a century, I can probably identify with most of the differences you probably encountered. It's good we moved back here, because both of his parents' health started failing a several years ago and they needed our help. His mother still remains in reasonably steady health, but is no longer able to care for herself so lives in a nursing home in town where she is well cared for and we see her often. I'm glad we came before their health started failing and I got to know them pretty well before my FIL's dementia took his mind and my MIL's illnesses took some of her independence and strong will from her. Although, she's still pretty strong willed yet. :)

Latest posts

Back