Hemorrhaging and pinholes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claire Huddle

Reaction score
Batch 5 hemorrhaging.jpg
So many questions on how/why this bleeds so badly, and why does the blue have pinholes?
Back story - I'm new and this is my 5th batch of CP soap. I use the same simple basic 'recipe' every time: equal parts OO, CO, lard, and the appropriate complement of distilled water and lye. We love the outcome. Usually! Adding color seems to be my stumbling block. Also, I added TD to this batch. So, what am I doing wrong? The blue is Crafter's Choice Matte Cobalt Blue Ultramarine Powder and it is listed as CP stable.

Questions, speculations, other factors:
1. I don't premix the powders with anything, just dump it into the traced base, stir, then immersion blend it a little. Is that causing my pinholes? Too much blending? too little? I don't see pinholes in the base that has only TD in it.
2. The bars in the pic are now 5 weeks old, but I first used the wet one at 4 weeks (my usual curing time) and it bled like I'd opened an artery. It *seems* to bleed less profusely now though. Puzzling!
3. My willing guinea pig husband grabbed a new (5-week) bar this morning and it, too, seemed to bleed less than that first bar. Is curing time a factor with powders??
4. Is it best to only add TD to the portion of the batch that won't have other color added? I had to use a ton of the blue to get this color, and, with the other half of the batch I added purple that ended up looking gray. Helpful guinea pig husband says that it's probably the TD 'diluting' other powders. That makes sense to me but I'm no Walter White. (Yay, Science!!!)

So that's me and my problems. If I don't figure out what I'm doing wrong it'll be plain soap for me from here on out. Well, maybe. It is fun just to experiment. All except for the curing time. I'm not getting any younger here!

Thank you in advance. From what I've seen so far, you are a diverse, knowledgeable, and helpful crowd of peeps.

Oh, on a happier note, the bleed doesn't stain, it rinses right away. So yay for that too. :)

1. I don't premix the powders with anything, just dump it into the traced base, stir, then immersion blend it a little. Is that causing my pinholes? Too much blending? too little? I don't see pinholes in the base that has only TD in it.
Typically oxides need to be premixed with something to get an even coloration - at least in my experience, but I stopped using oxides almost completely three years ago, so I didn't have much experience coloring to begin with. I have read that blitzing the oxide in a coffee grinder may make it easier (less lumpy) to mix into batter, but I've never tried it for myself. I had the best luck using a bit of water to disperse the oxide and break up powder lumps.

4. Is it best to only add TD to the portion of the batch that won't have other color added?
Yes, unless you want a lighter blue, or want to add a ton of color to overpower it.

You don't really say how much colorant you're using, but I think with the bleeding that you're seeing you're probably using too much.

It sounds like you’re using too much colorant. And by adding TD it will require a lot to get a brighter color therefore causing the bleeding. The specks in hiring soap are from the blue colorant. As amd said they need to be pre mixed in oil or water to disperse better. Air holes can also be cause from stick blending. I disperse my oxides and strain them when adding.

I premix all my oxides with water a good 15 minutes before soaping to they can absorb plenty of water and to get all the lumps out. A mini milk frother will work good to really get them mixed up.

If your soap is bleeding this bad then yes, you are using way too much colorant.
Only use TD on the portions you want white or pastel.

So that's me and my problems. If I don't figure out what I'm doing wrong it'll be plain soap for me from here on out. Well, maybe. It is fun just to experiment. All except for the curing time. I'm not getting any younger here!

Yeah, the cure time can be a bummer, but that is why you make more soap...and maybe some lotion bars, some salt and scrubs. Gives you lots to do while you’re waiting.

But regarding the blue. Gorgeous shade, but agree with others that you added to much if it bleeds like that. I mix all my colors except for Micas, in distilled water if I want a nice even color. Unless I want a white soap, or need to modify a color a bit, no need to add TD to your soap...it’s a waste of TD and color.

My goodness, thank you all so much for the help! You've pretty much confirmed most of what I suspected. Too much mica and no pre-mixing. My bad. Never again. And the TD was just something I wanted to try, to see how white I could go. My base color is a lovely light cream color and I think I'll stick with it with few exceptions. And then only in the portions that won't have any other coloring added!

The pinholes are still a little puzzling but they seem to only be in the blue areas. Methinks that if I mend my ways on mica mixing, it will remedy the pinhole problem at the same time. One can but hope!

Again, BIG THANKS to all. I'm gonna make a new batch tomorrow!

I'm agreeing with the others. Too much mica and it wasn't dispersed enough. How much mica did you use per pound? I mix my micas with almond oil or olive oil.

I used a full 2 oz in approximately half of a 2-lb batch, so let's say 2 oz per pound. Does that qualify for a "Yikes!"??

I'm glad you mentioned mixing micas specifically in oil as someone else mentioned water, and that had me scratching my head. But
I read on Bramble Berry today that micas should be pre-mixed with oil. So much to learn!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a full 2 oz in approximately half of a 2-lb batch, so let's say 2 oz per pound. Does that qualify for a "Yikes!"??

YIKES! I’m surprised your soap didn’t turn into chalk. I keep a bottle of pre-dispersed TD (1 tea TD, 1 tab distilled water) and then add 1 tea per pound to start with. A quick 1-2 second burst will tell me enough if I need to add a more.

I'm glad you mentioned mixing micas specifically in oil as someone else mentioned water, and that had me scratching my head. But I read on Bramble Berry today that micas should be pre-mixed with oil. So much to learn!

If I’m making a single color soap, I will toss my mica straight in with my oils/butters before adding my lye solution, but else wise I pre-mix.

My goodness, thank you all so much for the help! You've pretty much confirmed most of what I suspected. Too much mica and no pre-mixing.
Just to clarify, Ultramarines are not Micas and do need to be premixed in either distilled water or glycerin. I really do not remember if they are oil soluble since I always use either distilled water or glycerin. Micas can actually be added right to your soap batter, which is how I use micas.

Just to clarify, Ultramarines are not Micas and do need to be premixed in either distilled water or glycerin. I really do not remember if they are oil soluble since I always use either distilled water or glycerin. Micas can actually be added right to your soap batter, which is how I use micas.
Good grief, I didn't know that! What is the difference? I was busily buying other micas and naively assumed that my beautiful blue was a mica too. So I should have mixed it with distilled water first... oh my head is beginning to hurt...... But, silver lining, I am learning!

Did not make soap today, made a hay run into Oregon instead. That's probably safer, lol!

Thank you,
C

Good grief, I didn't know that! What is the difference? I was busily buying other micas and naively assumed that my beautiful blue was a mica too. So I should have mixed it with distilled water first... oh my head is beginning to hurt...... But, silver lining, I am learning!

Did not make soap today, made a hay run into Oregon instead. That's probably safer, lol!

Thank you,
C
I actually will correct what I said previously, dissolve it in light oil or glycerin. Water will work if you use it and do not let it sit around, but it works much better with glycerin. You will find if it sits overnight in water it usually settles to the bottom of the cup you dissolve it in. Sorry, I just remembered that when I poured it out of my deli cup.

Back