Help!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmtree

Reaction score
I've not made many liquid soaps. Only a couple times for home use and they came out ok. I've had a few requests from friends and family so I thought I would get into it a bit more. Here us my recipe. I have been cooking it since 12 yesterday afternoon, but i turned it off overnight. It still zaps a bit though it slowly becomes less 'zappy'?? Lol. Anyways directions followed perfectly and superfat, water %, etc exactly how it says in my book. What did I do wrong? ImageUploadedBySoap Making1383758031.294011.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

Hello,
It is a little hard to read your recipe, but did you put in the coconut oil? It is the only oil that doesn't have a checkmark beside it.
Also, is your superfat a -13%? Why so much? For SoapCalc recipes I use a -2% superfat.
Is it still zappy today? What does the paste look like? Does it dilute clear or milky?
Carolyn

I ran this recipe through my Soapmaker 3 program and even at 0% superfat the lye amount was 4.95

Hello,
It is a little hard to read your recipe, but did you put in the coconut oil? It is the only oil that doesn't have a checkmark beside it.
Also, is your superfat a -13%? Why so much? For SoapCalc recipes I use a -2% superfat.
Is it still zappy today? What does the paste look like? Does it dilute clear or milky?
Carolyn

In Sally Trew's book it calls for -13 and I always make mine that way with no zap. Just finished a 10 batch of ls that cooked in 4 hrs. I have gone as low as -15 in ls soaps with no zap. Using the -13 formula I have never had a cloudy LS. The trick with hers is you stir until you can no longer stir then let it sit to form a paste then in the oven. easy peasy. Did not mention that I do use citric acid to neutralize

Last edited:
I wonder about the jojoba. I never think of it as an oil that will saponify, and 25% of it is a LOT. I think that is the root of the problem.

I wonder about the jojoba. I never think of it as an oil that will saponify, and 25% of it is a LOT. I think that is the root of the problem.

Yeah, I agree. I used a different recipe yesterday and it came out great.

Latest posts

Back