TD

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wondering what is the best way to mix TD. Now that I started adding it to my colors it's leaving white smears of little drag marks in the form of little lines on my soap when I cut it. I have the kind you mix in oil plus I need to buy more is the water or oil mixing TD better just wondering down below is a pic of the TD smears.

So I bought a bunch of oil soluble TD. I think it was on sale. I was having the same problem that you are having, the drag marks. Then I read on this forum about straining it. No problems since I started that approach. I use 1 teaspoon of TD to 1 tablespoon of olive oil. I mix and mix and mix it with a small whisk, then I strain it and measure out what I want from the strained portion. I keep leftovers in a small jar in the refrigerator. I usually just add more to the jar whenever I need some again.
Can't wait to get through what I have, then I'm going to try the water soluble TD.

I bought this brand of water or oil soluble TD on Amazon. I add it to DI water in a squirt bottle and shake it to disperse the particles. No lumps, no fuss. Even if it sits for a week or two, the particles resuspend easily when I shake the container. When I add TD to the batter, I hand stir to distribute it as evenly as possible and then SB for a second or two. The first TD I had was oil soluble and it was serious work to get the lumps out.
For context, the squirt bottle I use to mix and store pre-made TD slurry holds 2 fl. oz. I don’t make big batches because I don’t use all that much of it. I store it in the refrigerator between uses.

So I tried the baggy method of smooshing it in oil and it worked pretty good I had 1 or 2 specs in my soap batch but I didn't smoosh very long next time I will try a little longer. I don't have a old blender to use so that might be in the future. I need to order more TD so I might try both kinds.

Just wondering what is the best way to mix TD. Now that I started adding it to my colors it's leaving white smears of little drag marks in the form of little lines on my soap when I cut it. I have the kind you mix in oil plus I need to buy more is the water or oil mixing TD better just wondering down below is a pic of the TD smears.View attachment 70808
I use the process described by Lisa (I Dream in Soap) and it works perfectly. Here it is:
Titanium Dioxide Master Batch

Ingredients
Oil soluble Titanium Dioxide
Olive Oil
Plastic container in which you will keep the mixture
Stainless steel bolts or ball bearings

Tare the container in which you will keep your titanium dioxide mixture.
Fill with olive oil to about 1 1/2” below top
Note the weight of the olive oil
1 Tbsp. of olive oil weighs 15g
Divide the weight of the olive oil by 15. This will give you the number of Tbsp. in container.
1 tsp. of titanium dioxide to 1 Tbsp. of olive oil (so if you have 14 Tbsp. olive oil in your container, you will add 14 tsp. of titanium dioxide to the container).

Using a Nutribullet, mix the oil and TD together. Blend for about 20 seconds.
Pour into your container with bolts (ball bearings)

Shake before each use.

1 Tbsp. of TD mix PPO
Titanium Dioxide Master Batch

Ingredients
Oil soluble Titanium Dioxide
Olive Oil
Plastic container in which you will keep the mixture
Stainless steel bolts or ball bearings

Tare the container in which you will keep your titanium dioxide mixture.
Fill with olive oil to about 1 1/2” below top
Weigh to get the weight of the olive oil
1 Tbsp. of olive oil weighs 15g
Divide the weight of the olive oil by 15. This will give you the number of Tbsp. in container.
1 tsp. of titanium dioxide to 1 Tbsp. of olive oil (so if you have 14 Tbsp. olive oil in your container, you will add 14 tsp. of titanium dioxide to the container).

Using a Nutribullet, mix the oil and TD together. Blend for about 20 seconds.
Pour into your container and add bolts (ball bearings)

Shake before each use.

Latest posts

Back