Help with multiple EO batch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grambow

Reaction score
I need some clarification on how much EO to use in my 4lb (64oz) batch of soap. I am making a soap with lavender, peppermint, tea tree, rosemary, and eucalyptus. I used the B.berry calculator and found the recommended amounts for each (medium strength) and then divided by 5 because that is the number of different oils I am using. However, I only come up with 1.5oz of EO for the entire batch. That seems really low. I would think I would need about 4oz of EO for a 64oz batch. Is there something I am missing?

Lavender-3oz/5 = .6
Peppermint-1oz/5 = .2
Tea Tree-2oz/5 = .4
Rosemary-1oz/5 = .2
Eucalyptus-.5oz/5 = .1

I don't know, it seems like a lot to me! That's almost 50 ml... it's a big batch of soap, too, but still. (but I've only made one soap with EO yet and I measured them in drops, so don't look at me, really)

I use the general rule of thumb of no more that 3% EO total weight. Then, I fiddle around with the percentage of each of the oils in the blend until I get a combo that I like.

There are a few EO that need to be used at a smaller concentration - cinnamon is the main one that I use. I use it at .5-1% because it can be an irritant, and there are no issues with the scent sticking.

That seems about right to me maybe just a little low. You could go just a touch higher with oils that don't irritate skin. I use around 5% EO of my total OIL weight. Yesterday I made an orange spice batch with only EO's
For a 70oz batch:
1.5 orange
.5 clove
.5 cinnamon

I un-molded this morning and the scent strength seems just right. Not light, not so overpowering that I could smell it thought my house.

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

I would use .8 oz each of lavender & tea tree. (6% x 64oz / 5) and .4 each of peppermint, rosemary & eucalyptus (3% x 64 / 5) for the total of 2.8 oz. I do a similiar mix and have never had a problem with complaints. I agree with the not over 1% for irritant eo's. Normally I use 6% and tweak from there for the lower useage oils. Peppermint I never use over 3% as it is can burn and I warn customers of the use of peppermint soap in sensitive areas.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back