Help! Questions on molds.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noreen Moore

Reaction score
Hello fellow soapers. Yes I am new at this and the old boy bless his heart, got me some soap molds.
They are the clear plastic style. They say do not go over 145 degrees which I don't plan on soaping that hot.
Can I use these for CP? Will I need mineral oil in them? I hate to tell him they won't work. And he bought me some melt and pour scents. As well as a melt and pour kit. I have yet to try melt and pour. My niece has made some beautiful melt and pours.
AND next question. He bought me a white plastic screw together loaf mold. I won't have to line that will I for CP?

They say do not go over 145 degrees which I don't plan on soaping that hot.
You might not plan on soaping that hot, but your soap may get that hot (or hotter) as it goes through saponification.

They are the clear plastic style.
Do you mean Milkyway type molds?

Can I use these for CP?
If they are the Milkyway type molds, you can use them but you have to be really careful about temps, ingredients that may contribute to increased temps, etc. As well as being aware that they are not as durable for CP and will wear/crack more quickly.

Will I need mineral oil in them?
Only if they are extremely detailed molds. I have always been able unmold in a day or two after sitting in the freezer for 20-30 minutes. (The mold sitting in the freezer, not me sitting in the freezer, I mean.)

He bought me a white plastic screw together loaf mold. I won't have to line that will I for CP?
I'm not sure, I would line it to be on the safe side, but maybe someone who has used that type of mold will chime in.

I'm not sure, I would line it to be on the safe side, but maybe someone who has used that type of mold will chime in.
After reading many of the older posts I read that yes sadly this should be lined. It is very smooth but I think he bought everything in the melt and pour section. Luckily after the holidays I have a grip of parchment paper. That worked for lining a brownie pan and a bread pan on my first 2 batches.

And yes I guess these are like Milky Way style. They are cute and I will definitely make sure my oils are around 110 and I will room temp my lye water.

Last edited by a moderator:
AND next question. He bought me a white plastic screw together loaf mold. I won't have to line that will I for CP?

If this white plastic mold is HDPE, I don't line mine. I spray it lightly with food grade silicone. Before unmolding I put it in a 170 degree oven for about 2 or 3 minutes. The sides slide right off. I do CP. Let us know how this turns out for you.

If this white plastic mold is HDPE, I don't line mine. I spray it lightly with food grade silicone. Before unmolding I put it in a 170 degree oven for about 2 or 3 minutes. The sides slide right off. I do CP. Let us know how this turns out for you.
As for the plastic molds PAM, Cyclomethicone or Dimethicone in a fine spray bottle will work fine as a mold release and does not have to be food grade, but do use cosmetic grade. You can put the plastic mold in the freezer to help facilitate de-molding but be aware if the plastic is frozen it can crack so let the mold sit out to warm up. The condensation which forms on the soap as it thaws will help the soap slip out of the mold. Putting HDPE molds in the oven is fine except over time it can cause warping especially of the thin bottom piece of HDPE. If your HDPE molds are the very shiny smooth craft store 1-2 lb molds they usually do not need to be lined, but larger non-slick HDPE molds do need to be lined, preferably with coated freezer paper. HDPE molds are what I use exclusively and love them but they are pesky in the fact they need to be lined.

Yes. I bought one from Hobby Lobby, had never seen one before. Hubby used an ice pick to get the CP soap out of it. The next time, I lined with freezer paper and had no issues.

I just need to say that it's either the recipe or something with the plastic. My husband made mine out of 1/2" smooth HDPE.
It is a 36 bar mold and I have no trouble with releasing the soap out of it without any lining, only spraying with the silicone mentioned in the above post. I don't know how thin the plastic is from Hobby Lobby but I have no trouble with warping in the oven if it's left in for only a few minutes before releasing the soap. I would never choose HDPE if I had to line them. There are much better options. At least my HDPE is very heavy. If you would like to see one like mine here is a link.
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/new-price-on-hdpe-mold.76250/

I just need to say that it's either the recipe or something with the plastic. My husband made mine out of 1/2" smooth HDPE.
It is a 36 bar mold and I have no trouble with releasing the soap out of it without any lining, only spraying with the silicone mentioned in the above post. I don't know how thin the plastic is from Hobby Lobby but I have no trouble with warping in the oven if it's left in for only a few minutes before releasing the soap. I would never choose HDPE if I had to line them. There are much better options. At least my HDPE is very heavy. If you would like to see one like mine here is a link.
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/new-price-on-hdpe-mold.76250/

The recipe is fine, it was the mold that was the issue. It's a nice thick heavy duty white plastic that just gripped the soap and held on. I'm sure if I had sprayed it with silicone or mineral oil, it would have been fine. But as I said in my original post, at the time I bought it, I had never seen anyone use a similar one so I didn't know. But lesson learned and know when I use it, I line it with freezer paper and have no problems.

The recipe is fine, it was the mold that was the issue. It's a nice thick heavy duty white plastic that just gripped the soap and held on. I'm sure if I had sprayed it with silicone or mineral oil, it would have been fine. But as I said in my original post, at the time I bought it, I had never seen anyone use a similar one so I didn't know. But lesson learned and know when I use it, I line it with freezer paper and have no problems.
Yes, soap loves to stick to HDPE and yes it will release if a mold release is used. I hate using mold release so opt for lining my hdpe molds since I hate washing mold release out of my molds. I would never use one with dividers for that reason and it also is not my recipe. I have been using hdpe molds since I started soaping and will us nothing else.

Great advice! Thanks so much!

OMG! Yup glad I have Pam now... Wish I had it before I poured into MW style molds. Popped 1 out at 18 hour mark. All design held, 1 small piece of soap lifted. Soft soap. So I felt wait... Was happy on how soap popped out. 24 hours later, now 36 hours later... Freezing... Etc... Omg...Stuck. Now I cracked an area. Then I did warm water. 2 came out sans design. So then I did my Pringles can. Thinking I would reuse that. No biggie that I had to tear that up!!! Very pretty using Turmeric for color however my EO was a blend and now all I can smell is the Tea Tree oil. Last night the peppermint was over powering the scent.
I wish we could go back to the peppermint. I do not find Tea Tree oil pleasant smelling.
Kinda bummed about the sticking. But won't let it deter me from learning more. Wondering when they will give way and pop out. I want to do it all over again but spray with Pam.

I started out with a HDPE mold and the soap came out nice for the first few times (with not lining) and then it didn't anymore so I made a liner out of one of my liners for my dehydrator so I can re-use and not cut paper every time (I have no patience for that). I have used the plastic molds but to get the soap out in one piece I have always frozen. the tray part does warp if it gets too warm but the mold part never has (I wind up trying to find things to prop the molds up though which isn't much fun either). After awhile they do crack, but I do like them but have some I am trying to replace as I find them in silicone. and what ever you do if you ever make salt bars don't use the plastic one--I broke every one I used trying to get the soap out.
Question for you guys that are using the sprays--does it leave a residue on the soap? and if so does it wipe off easy?

I made a liner out of one of my liners for my dehydrator so I can re-use and not cut paper every time (I have no patience for that).

That’s what I use for my 6lb wood mold - dehydrator sheets that are cut to fit the bottom and sides. I bought this mold used, and she gave me the cut dehydrator sheets with it. Totally ingenious idea, and I’ll never go back to freezer paper now, except for makeshift small molds, perhaps.

My husband made me PVC (ABS, actually) pipe molds. I don’t line them at all bc the freezer + a good whack on the cement garage floor is all that is needed for the soap to slide right out.

Back to the OP: try the freezer again for those stuck soaps. After 30 mins, take it out, and wait till you feel some dampness on the mold (usually 3-4 mins max but depends on the warmth and humidity of your room). Now they should pop right out but if not, bang them on a hard surface like a concrete floor or marble countertop. Good luck!! For future, I’d use them only for M&P.

Back