Hello from VA!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juliab86

Reaction score
Hi everybody. Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Julia and I'm new to soap making. I've made 6 batches so far and learn something new every time. I love the experimenting and using different materials. Before soap making, I made lotions, lip balms, salves and scrubs.

I've been using this forum as a resource for a while and already found answers to my many questions. I look forward to learning!

That's so exciting!

Hope yours turns out better than mine. My first batch (90% Olive Oil/10% Castor Oil) had a cookie dough (or maybe cheesecake) texture when I took it out of the mold. Probably because I didn't let it reach more than a light trace, or more likely because it didn't gel because I didn't insulate and took it out too soon. Tried the same recipe again the next day and it turned out great.

What did you make?

That's so exciting!

Hope yours turns out better than mine. My first batch (90% Olive Oil/10% Castor Oil) had a cookie dough (or maybe cheesecake) texture when I took it out of the mold. Probably because I didn't let it reach more than a light trace, or more likely because it didn't gel because I didn't insulate and took it out too soon. Tried the same recipe again the next day and it turned out great.

What did you make?

Well I would say that just yet :???: I signed up for a soap making class onlne, in my 3rd lesson I had to make two methods of soap. First being a Hand Milled and second cp. So here is the link to my cp post here on the SMF
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/f34/newbie-w-2-part-question-water-m-p-shea-butter-34974/

Anyway, reading your post I think I didn't let it get a hard enough trace myself. Because as you can see in my pix it does look lke cheesecake all crumbly. I probably un-molded it too soon about 27 hrs is what I gave it and cut it. Let me know what you think I dd wrong. I also don't know about the insulating process.....

Yours looks so much better than mine did! Mine was an unusable messy glop that I had to throw away.

Again, I'm new to this too, but yours looks like it might be fine once it cures. It will probably harden. I have yet to work with shortening, but your recipe looks good numbers-wise.

As for insulating, I didn't read enough instructions before I did my first batch and didn't put plastic wrap over the top of my molds. You do that, I found out later, to let the soaps heat so they can gel. I'm sure someone on this site can explain gelling better than I can. Anyway, I didn't do that and my first batch never heated and gelled. And I got a gloppy mess.

I have yet to have a batch go crumbly. Probably the more experienced soapers on here will know what happened. In my opinion, this does not look bad at all for a first batch!

Latest posts

Back