hello from Indiana!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a new member from South Bend, IN! I have been making melt and pour soaps, lip balms, and lotion bars on and off for at least 10 years now. I recently began researching cold process soap making and I am gathering my supplies (hoping tha Santa helps with the protective equiptment, loaf molds, and thermometers!). I purchased my lye and have lots of oils available already. I was wondering what test recipe you all would suggest? I really love the idea of beer soap, but don't want that to be the first one I attempt.

Thanks!

Liz
Hi, I'm from NW Indiana. Just wanted to say hi to a fellow Hoosier. Happy Soaping!

Hi, I'm from NW Indiana. Just wanted to say hi to a fellow Hoosier. Happy Soaping!

Hi! Thanks for the welcome! Any local supplies that you use in Indiana? I have family in Fort Wayne and visit there frequently, so if you know of any in that area, I would love to know!:mrgreen:

Suppliers in NW Indiana

I order my supplies online. I got suggestions from where to order from other soapers. Soaping did not open up for me until I learned to utilize a soap calculator. I make my own soap recipes now. A woman on You Tube had a video of her using a soap calc and it was so confusing at first. I watched that vid a bunch of times and one day it all clarified. You Tube is a good place to start in soaping. The vids are so interesting and they show so much. When I started finding mistakes in information- that is when I knew I was ready to start ordering supplies and making soap.
Although I am still new, I can make a soap out of just about anything. The more I watch the more I learn. I know not to use a whole lemon in soap (haha) because it won't set. Soapmaking 101 showed me that. Nancy Today showed me how to put the camera around my neck to tape a process. (Customers new to handcrafted soaps want to know how I make soap). Experienced soapers are the greatest people on the planet!

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice! I have learned a ton since joining the forum in November! I have made 4 batches of soap and have rebatched 2 from my first plain no frills soap! Ot has been a fun experience and I can't wait to do more!

Latest posts

Back