Hello from Illinois!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saponificology

Reaction score
Hi! I'm a rather new soapmaker here to learn more about it. I've done an all-coconut CP soap that turned out well, a CP soap using a mix of 1/3 each of coconut, tallow, and olive oils which is currently curing, a failed attempt at coconut liquid soap, and my latest creation, a liquid soap with coconut plus castor and olive oils where about half of the water was substituted with propylene glycol.

This last soap has turned out really well so far, and I think I'll start a thread soon to talk about the recipe and see if it can be improved upon. I know the PG isn't for everyone, but it seems to be a very well-behaved co-solvent and humectant, so I'm curious to see if anyone else has tried it in liquid soap.

In my day job I'm an R&D chemist, and I've dabbled with lots of science-adjacent hobbies ranging from homebrewing to home chemistry. Home soapmaking is very much a type of home chemistry plus art, and it is very much up my alley. I've learned a lot lurking over the past couple of weeks and I'm looking forward to learning more!

Welcome.gif

Hi! I'm a rather new soapmaker here to learn more about it. I've done an all-coconut CP soap that turned out well, a CP soap using a mix of 1/3 each of coconut, tallow, and olive oils which is currently curing, a failed attempt at coconut liquid soap, and my latest creation, a liquid soap with coconut plus castor and olive oils where about half of the water was substituted with propylene glycol.

This last soap has turned out really well so far, and I think I'll start a thread soon to talk about the recipe and see if it can be improved upon. I know the PG isn't for everyone, but it seems to be a very well-behaved co-solvent and humectant, so I'm curious to see if anyone else has tried it in liquid soap.

In my day job I'm an R&D chemist, and I've dabbled with lots of science-adjacent hobbies ranging from homebrewing to home chemistry. Home soapmaking is very much a type of home chemistry plus art, and it is very much up my alley. I've learned a lot lurking over the past couple of weeks and I'm looking forward to learning more!
Welcome! I will be reading your posts with interest. I used PG in one clear/transparent soap batch so far.

Latest posts

Back