Hardening a rebatch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapMom

Reaction score
Anyone know of a way to harden up a soap during a rebatch? I have some batches that are too soft so I thought I could rebatch them but am afraid that they will be the same (too soft). Could I add some steric acid to the rebatch to harden them up? Would that work you think?

Whenever I've had to rebatch something because it was too soft, I simply did my rebatching and didn't add any extra liquid. I found that during the rebatch process some of the fluid evaporates away. It's still not the same as a CP or HP for texture but I like rebatched soaps too because they have their own charm and can be really nice....

Cheers
lindy

PS I don't know how Stearic Acid would affect a rebatch and I'll be interested in this as well.....

Thanks! I'll try it without the liquid then. If that doesn't work, I'll try it with some steric acid. I'll let you know how it works out! Thanks for helping me out!!

IM000143.jpg

IM000142.jpg

Some rebatching that I did yesterday from a batch that I CP'd over a month ago. It was too soft. This is a hodge podge of the original soap with lots of scraps thrown in. Not a pretty soap, but certainly effective!
I did add a tiny bit of water to this soap and a tiny bit of oil. Less than a 1/4 oz. I believe it depends on the amount of your batch and how soft it initially was. I put this in the oven, with a lid. It took about 40 minutes to melt down.

I'm getting the hang of rebatching and thinking that I will CP soap purposely for this reason. The texture of this soap is really smooth as far as rebatching goes. I like that my scent rings true and that I can add color and additives and know exactly what my soap will look like.

I personally don't like rebatching, but that's because I'm one of them soapers that just can't get it right!! I can never get it smooth and lovely like some of the girls on here can.
But I would think, that even if it seems a bit soft at first, if you leave it to cure, it will harden up because that's just water evaporation, just the same as regular CP.

Well so far it looks pretty good. I didn't add any water or liquid to it and thus far it seems harder than it was before. I'm going to cut it later and see what the finish product looks like! I'll let you guys know. Thanks again for all the tips!

Yeah!! Soaping success!! It looks so much better than it before!! Thanks for the help!!
BTW, Lindy, I just notice your cow! Too cute!!

Latest posts

Back