Happy...but scared

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annmarie0407

Reaction score
I just got into my first big store. Mothers Market in So Cal. I am a bit nervous since I am a one woman show and have only been selling online. Just bought my barcodes and Insurance...yippeee

Any advice? How do I keep up? The past few weeks I have been making soap everyday to prepare for their first order...which is next Thursday. I guess the scary part for me is the fact that the soaps take 6 weeks to dry. Do I really need to wait the full 6 weeks?

Any advice?

Hi Annemarie. In my reading and experience, most soaps are fine at 4 weeks cure to sell and use. The exception are high olive oil soaps which do much better with a longer cure. Just had a look at your website (lovely, btw) and based on the blend of oils you use your soaps should be fine to sell after 4 weeks cure imho.

Tanya :)

Congratulations .. If you can let them cure 6 weeks or longer , the better it is , but like Tanya said 4 is fine for some .Maybe after awhile you can figure a routine out to let them have the full cure ?
All the best of luck with your soap business .

Kitn

I believe a four week cure time as a minimum, is great.
Any longer is greater.
But there is a distinctive difference in mildness, lather, and how long the soap lasts, between a two week bar and a four week bar.

WOW...4 weeks hugh? That helps me alot. I was just worried that after 4 weeks the soap would not be hard enough....

I am gonna do the 4 weeks......

Thank you for all your input. OH...Do I need to start paying taxes? I want to be able to claim all my receipts at the end of the year.

1 more question...do you know where to get bulk olive oil? Right now I am paying only $5.75(for 1 Liter) at Traders...but I am buying 2 bottles a day...that adds up fast.

AAA Chemicals is supposed to be good (haven't used them myself), but the cheapest I found (at least locally) is at Costco. I just paid $18.89 (or something like that) for 5 liters.

Latest posts

Back