Haha Helppp!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having slept since I posted earlier, I feel the need to say more about essential oils. I do not mean to imply that you should not be careful with essential oils. You defintely should be careful. There is a lot of info here on the forum as well as people much more versed in essential oils than I am. Having said that, lavender essential oil is not one prone to causing problems such as volcanos or fast trace so I doubt if the lavender essential oil was the problem in your batch. Too much lavender could irritate the skin, and usage guidelines should be followed, but I was posting about what could make the batch of soap go wrong.

Thanks for the information. It was lavender essential oil by the way and we may have used a little too much. Does anyone have any suggestions for curing the soap? What container to put it in/the air environment?

I thought I remembered hearing about having your oils in the 140 degree range so went looking for it. I heard it on a You Tube video by EdentiaFarms
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nw4CBN_RC0&feature=player_embedded[/ame]
where she is showing how to make an HP melt and pour base. I think I heard it on another site about HP also. I don't HP very often, but it makes sense to me that if you are putting your oils in the crock pot you would end up with temps about that range.
Soapyguy - are you sure that your book was talking about CP (cold process) and not HP (hot process) when it mentions this temp?

Most books and articles that I have read with recipes for soap usually say mix your lye/water solution into your oils when both temps are between 95 to 110 degrees F. And the the oils and lye/water mixture should be within 5 degrees of each other. I have never seen 120 to 140 degrees for a mixing temp.

My reading is similar as well.

In the books that I own and read, the temperatures that were call for is between 40degree celcius to 50degree celcius. The optimum temperature is to be 5 degree apart but not more than 10 degrees apart.

Personally I did my soaps by keep the lye to 45 degree celcius and the oil to 50 degree celcius. And I make sure that the temperature of the traced mixture is about 38-40degree celcius before going into the mold.

So far, I did not have any issue with that.

The only time that I seen a volcano is when I did a milk soap. That requires even lower temperatures.

When I did the frozen milk and added my lye to that, I ended up with a temp of 23 C. I also had my lye bucket sitting in a dishpan of icewater. My oils were room temp so it didn't matter. The soap turned out great.

Soapguy, are you able to post the exact recipe that you used, including weights? Also, how much EO did you use? Did you measure it or just eyeball it?

ALWAYS run ANY recipe from any book or website or any other source through a lye calculator.

This. A lot of recipes in soaping books can be funky, and not quite so good really. Always double check.

I soap on the hotter side. What kind of oils are you using? I use cocoa butter in my recipe, so I usually soap 120-130 to make sure it doesn't cool during mixing. My lye is always slightly hotter.

Back