Guitar strings vs. stainless steel wire

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangeblossom

Reaction score
I've searched the archives here, and I am finding that people are saying to use both stainless steel wire, and/or guitar strings.
Not all guitar strings are stainless steel. I have one here that says "plain steel" on it. I can only find thick stainless steel wire in the hardware stores near me, not thin stuff.

I really want to cut with wire to make it less messy, but I don't know if I should go ahead with my plain steel string or not. Will it discolor my soap since it is not stainless steel, or will the string simply get eaten away, leaving me to buy more (which I'd be okay with if it means I could cut my soap today with the wire). I really don't want to affect the color of my soap.
Does anyone know the answer? Does anyone use regular "plain steel" guitar strings with no problem?

I use a "taping knife" in the hardware dept, its a wide blade with a handle on it), it is so easy, no strings to mess with, just a thought.

strings

ime...if you wipe the string after a few cuts, you won't get any discoloration. most strings have some type of ceramic or rust prevention coat.

the contact area of knives is soooo much bigger, so i avoid them (smears,dark spots etc)

GL

the blade of the taping knife is thin, I dont get any discoloration or smudges, you can look at my past pics if you want. It makes nice even bars, I would think it would be hard to get that with string?

I use a cheese slicer now, before I could not cut a straight line.. But I have noticed I no longer have drag marks as I has before..
I think it would be awsome to have a big cutter !
Just make sure what you use .. wipe it clean

honor435 said:
the blade of the taping knife is thin, I dont get any discoloration or smudges, you can look at my past pics if you want. It makes nice even bars, I would think it would be hard to get that with string?

i use a mitre box. square/even is a no brainer :)
but,to each his own

How long is the taping knife? I'd like to find something to cut soap easily from a slab mold. The molds with silicone dividers are nice, but expensive. I can't justify buying one - yet :D - since I already have a nice slab mold. But my bars aren't all the same size or weight...

Honor, could you post a pic or a link to the knife? I am really getting sick of drag marks and smudges..

honor435 said:
I use a "taping knife" in the hardware dept, its a wide blade with a handle on it), it is so easy, no strings to mess with, just a thought.

I do the same thing. I made a guide that insures straight and square cuts and love it.

Bruce

Latest posts

Back