Grams or oz?????

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally prefer grams. Gramele is much clearer and easier to understand by the whole world, so I don't see any sense in colluding with Oz. Although many producers and not only soap use Oz and this bothers me a lot.

it calculates the weight of my oil in oz and grams.
SoapCalc is so cool. :cool: I've been using it since 2004. I always round up or down for ounces and grams.

When soaping, I use ounces to weigh the fats and grams to weigh the lye and water. But that's just me. It's not rocket science, although some would have you believe so. 😉

Without getting into the question of whether to measure in ounces or grams - the accuracy of the measurement is more important. Maybe I'll say the obvious, but the fact that the scale graduation (i.e. the smallest difference between the values shown by the scale) is 1 g or 0.05 oz does not mean that the scale is so precise. Somewhere, I read that cheap scales may have a measurement error of several divisions, i.e. a weight showing a difference of 1 g may distort even by 5 g. Therefore, use a scale with a graduation at least one order of magnitude smaller than the precision you want to achieve. If you want to weigh with an accuracy of 1 g, use a scale with a 0.1 g graduation.
Therefore, for example, a kitchen scale weighing up to a few kg is suitable for weighing oils, but not for weighing lye. When weighing half a kg of oil, any difference of a few g will not be important. When weighing the lye, a few g will be important - with a small batch it can make a 10% difference. Even a cheap jeweler scale with a graduation of 0.01 g will work with the lye.

Without getting into the question of whether to measure in ounces or grams - the accuracy of the measurement is more important. Maybe I'll say the obvious, but the fact that the scale graduation (i.e. the smallest difference between the values shown by the scale) is 1 g or 0.05 oz does not mean that the scale is so precise. Somewhere, I read that cheap scales may have a measurement error of several divisions, i.e. a weight showing a difference of 1 g may distort even by 5 g. Therefore, use a scale with a graduation at least one order of magnitude smaller than the precision you want to achieve. If you want to weigh with an accuracy of 1 g, use a scale with a 0.1 g graduation.
Therefore, for example, a kitchen scale weighing up to a few kg is suitable for weighing oils, but not for weighing lye. When weighing half a kg of oil, any difference of a few g will not be important. When weighing the lye, a few g will be important - with a small batch it can make a 10% difference. Even a cheap jeweler scale with a graduation of 0.01 g will work with the lye.
When I first started soaping, I used my digital postage scale. Great for postage, but it didn't always register when weighing smaller amount so I bought a 'cheap' scale for Amazon ($10.00). I haven't had any problems with it and I've been using it for over three years now and it measures to the 100th ounce. It runs on a 9volt battery and I made sure to change it out with a freshly purchased one every six months, and I have a couple of small weights that I use to make sure it is weighing accurately...two things everyone should be doing.

As I am getting into making larger batches and more soap, I am already on the look out for a more 'professional' scale...something with an AC adapter, battery backup, larger surface area, larger weight capacity (especially since I Master Batch).

I prefer grams. Weighting in grams is much clearer and easier to understand by the whole world, so I don't see any sense in weighting in Oz. Although many producers and not only soap use Oz, and this bothers me a lot. But now I have found a converter that helps me calculate ounces to grams; thus, everything is easier. So if you also use this converter, the job will become much easier and hassle-free. I say this from my own experience, LOL. Good luck! We are waiting for the result :)

Weighting in grams is much clearer and easier to understand by the whole world
How exactly is it clearer? A gram is a gram. An ounce is an ounce. It doesn't change like say...using your hand to measure because not every hand is the same size. As for the latter...1) I don't sell outside of the US, and 2) I list grams/ounces on all my products so EVERYONE can understand.

I use grams, when I started making soap everywhere I look was using grams. Just kind of stuck, It sucks sometimes because I have to convert packaged ingredients from oz/gal to gram and kilo.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back