Good grief

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I never knew using a mortar and pestle would be so tricky. Maybe it's just me having a bad day or maybe it's my tiny mortar and pestle I just got off ebay. How hard can it be to grind calendula petals? Is cutting them with scissors going to help?

eeep I'm not sciencey enough for this

Is your mortar and pestle marble or wood? I have found that marble is easier to work with, more weight to the tool.

Are your botanicals completely dry? If they are slightly moist they can be difficult to grind. You could try popping them into the toaster oven for a few minutes on low to dry them out. Then you'll have some Crispy critters!

Do you have a food processor?
Or, to grind the calendula in the mortar and pestle, you could add a tiny little bit of salt, to give it a bit of grip. Just a little bit, it shouldn't hurt your recipe.
And it does take a while to get the mortar/pestle technique, but they are fabulous once you know how.

Oh yeah - I love my mortar & pestle - I grind up all my spices with it. I haven't tried to grind up calendula petals yet though....

I have a stick blender that has an extra blender thingy you can attach to it, great for spices, etc, they grind up well in that, do you know the ones I mean? Brain not functioning properly just now! :?

I'll keep practicing heheh I even watched some dude on youtube grinding and got jealous :cry:

Back