goats milk soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catherinemary

Reaction score
Hi I am new to the forum, and have been making soap for about 7 yrs.
I made a batch of goatsmilk soap yesterday, but was very puzzled when as I was stirring I was smelling amonia! I used goats milk and lard. I was hoping the smell was just my imagination, but today underlying the essential oil is still the amonia smell. Does anyone know what went wrong? Should I still use them? thanks

Hello and welcome to the forum. Soapmakerman is the one to ask about goats milk. Have a great day!

Bruce

Hi catherinemary - welcome to the forum! You will find so much great help and information here :)

Soapmakerman is one of our forum mods and VERY experienced in goats milk soaping. Why not click on the search button at the top right of this page and type in 'goat'. You will find heaps of posts about that subject, many of which will have Paul's wisdom thereon.

Another thing to do is go to the bottom right of the soap forum page and click on the earliest page (cronologically) - it is currently no. 93. You can read from the beginning of this wonderful resource and find out all sorts of things. HTH!

Tanya :)

welcome

welcome to you! another great way to move around in the forum is at the very to right of the page you can click on search and insert a keyword like goatsmilk soap and it will bring up all the previous posts on the subject.

make yourself at home, you're going to like it here!

Hi, you rang??? :lol: Welcome to the forum! I started making GM soap 4 years ago from batch 1, even though it was a very stinky, bad smelling batch. Out with the trash it went. GM was what I wanted to work with and it was not going to beat me darn it! I make a little better GM soap today than that day.

You are smelling as you mentioned ammonia. Unless you burned the lactose sugars in the GM badly, it will go away with time. I won't go into my RTCP method or how I add my GM to the batter in this post. Like others mentioned, there are a lot of posts by others and myself on the topic of goat milk in soaps. I make goat milk lotions too. If you have any questions, just start a topic and either myself or others will give you a starting point to head you in the right direction!

Welcome to our friendly soapy forum! We hope you come to love it here as we do!

Paul :wink:

Welcome - and good luck with the goats milk soap - I have made 2 batches and it is wonderful

~roy

Latest posts

Back