getting started and a few Qs...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greekmama

Reaction score
I am extremely new to making bath and body products (in fact I haven't even bought my supplies yet because I am still researching) but I have a few questions before I stock up...

1. I am going to attempt to make creams/body butters (which I am assuming are all oil, no or very little water in most cases) for my family, should I start experimenting with preservatives now even though I am not selling them?? I want the shelf life of them to be longer than a week or two. And I should mention I live in an extremely humid area so even if they aren't in the bathroom, there will be humidity all around.

2. What are the basic things you can't work without?? Since shipping to Greece is going to be fairly expensive, I want to place a big order the first time. I was thinking of starting with shea, cocoa and mango butters, a few oils (jojoba, sweet almond, coconut, calendula infused), I know I need additives, but not sure what I definitely need and what is more optional. And any equipment that is a must have???

Thanks so much for any help!!!

Check out tha FAQ over at smftutorials.com

Loads of useful info over there!!

Also yes you will need to use a preservative especially in the humid climate!! Its not neccessary for soap, just non~soap items

One way to save on costs:
Get Calendula petals and infuse them in local oils

Cheers
Deb

What sorts of things do you wish to make? Your list of oils and butters is good and basic.

I agree with infusing your own (if necessary can you have the botanicals imported? some countries won't let you). Calendula is actually marigold, by the way. I bought some infused oil once from a great supplier but it turned out to just be infused in soybean oil which was ok but not marvelous. Now I make my own in jojoba which is more stable, and in olive which I just love.

I am going to try to make a whipped body butter (probably with shea) something very gentle for my son's eczema. I was going to try a lip balm if possible. I might even get crazy and try a diaper rash balm, but we'll see.

thanks for all the advice...I was thinking to just make my own infused calendula oil...I think I can find the dried petals here (we are big on botanicals) so I am going to ask around.

Back