Getting ready for Salt Bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@cmzaha it was the WinCo bulk sea salt I had. Purchased a few pounds a couple years ago. Maybe it's changed since then.
I'm using fine sea salt from the dollar store now or plain canning salt.

I've never tried Himalayan salt but I did grind course salt once, ended up slicing my chest open. Threw the whole batch away.
Scratchiest salt I ever used is real salt. It's pink much like the Himalayan but it contains small particles of hard red clay, feels like sand in the soap and can also cut.

This is very good information to have ! No grinding for me! There was one video that the soaper said go buy play sand and add it. I thought that would be very sandy and won't dissolve in the shower so not sure I will do that.

This is very good information to have ! No grinding for me! There was one video that the soaper said go buy play sand and add it. I thought that would be very sandy and won't dissolve in the shower so not sure I will do that.

I think fine sand would be ok for machanic handsoap or even feet but that would be it.
You can buy extra fine pumice, it's fine enough to use in body soap without being scratchy.

Use Plain non-iodized salt and canning salt works very nicely because it is quite fine. There is a difference in grinders and a high end burr grinder may work but I am not about to try mine for salt, it is to easy to purchase x-fine to fine salt. Another very scratchy salt is Grey Sea Salt.

I received a soap with a sand layer once in a swap and did not like it at all, and I prefer not to run sand down my drains. Nope, sand does not dissolve in water, think ocean, we would not have sandy ocean floors. I believe the melt point of silica is at or over 3000º F

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back